Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wwh in words - 02/21/03 02:13 PM
Hardly indispensable words.
incite
vt.
3cit$ed, 3cit4ing 5ME inciten < OFr inciter < L incitare < in3, in, on + citare, to set in motion, urge: see CITE6 to urge to action; stir up; rouse
in[cite4ment or in[ci[ta[tion 7in#s! ta4*!n, 3sj38
n.
in[cit$er
n.
SYN.—incite implies an urging or stimulating to action, either in a favorable or unfavorable sense [incited to achievement by rivalry]; instigate always implies responsibility for initiating the action and usually connotes a bad or evil purpose [who instigated the assassination?]; arouse, in this connection, means little more than a bringing into being or action [it aroused my suspicions]; foment suggests continued incitement over an extended period of time [the unjust taxes fomented rebellion] —ANT. restrain, inhibit

Posted By: wwh Re: iincoercible - 02/21/03 02:17 PM
coerce
vt.
3erced$, 3erc4ing 5ME cohercen < OFr cohercier < L coercere, to surround, restrain < co3, together + arcere, to confine: see EXERCISE6
1 to restrain or constrain by force, esp. by legal authority; curb
2 to force or compel, as by threats, to do something
3 to bring about by using force; enforce
—SYN FORCE
co[er4ci[ble
adj.
co[er4ci[bly
adv.

Posted By: wwh Re: in words - 02/21/03 02:21 PM
A word not to be thought of, much less used.
incogitable
adj.
5L incogitabilis: see IN32 & COGITABLE6 [Rare] unthinkable; inconceivable

Posted By: wwh Re: incognita - 02/21/03 02:26 PM
When a movie actress wants to go slumming, she changes her make-up and goes
incognita
adv., adj.
5It < L incognitus, unknown < in3, not + cognitus: see COGNITION6 with true identity unrevealed or disguised; under an assumed name, rank, etc.
n.,
pl. 3tos#
1 a person who is incognito
2 a) the state of being incognito b) the disguise assumed
—SYN PSEUDONYM
in[cog4ni[ta 73ni t!8, pl. 3tas,
n.fem., adj., adv.

Posted By: wwh Re: incoherently - 02/21/03 02:34 PM
When your words won't stick together, you talk
incoherently
adj.
ino coherent; specif., a) lacking cohesion; not sticking together b) not logically connected; disjointed; rambling c) characterized by incoherent speech, thought, etc.
in#co[her4ent[ly
adv.

Posted By: wwh Re: iincommensurate - 02/21/03 02:41 PM
The quality of your work and your remuneration are always
incommensurate
adj.
not commensurate; specif., a) not proportionate; not adequate !a supply incommensurate to the demand" b) INCOMMENSURABLE (adj. 1)
in#com[men4su[rate[ly
adv.

Posted By: wwh Re: incommutable - 02/21/03 02:44 PM
Confederate currency has long been
incommutable
adj.
5ME < L incommutabilis: see IN32 & COMMUTABLE6that cannot be changed or exchanged
in#com[mut#a[bil4i[ty
n.
in#com[mut4a[bly
adv.

Posted By: wwh Re: incompossibility - 02/21/03 02:53 PM
Wilder and wilder. This spelling bee list has some words worse than worthless.
I found it in a number of sites, but none even remotely amusing or interesting.

Posted By: wwh Re: inconcinnity - 02/21/03 03:02 PM
At last, a word that characterises all the preceding words:
inconcinnity - lack of suitability or congruity, awkward or unsuitable form or character.
Inconcinnity rampant on this page of the spelling bee words. Rampant is the posture
of the Prthian stallions retroreaming rosinantes.

Posted By: sjm Re: inconcinnity - 02/21/03 07:56 PM
Thanks for rubbishing a big part of my vocabulary, Dr. Bill> I use several of the words you trash here on a very regular basis. I find them neither awkward nor unsuitable.

Posted By: wwh Re: inconcinnity - 02/21/03 08:15 PM
Dear sjm: Every knock is a boost, as they say in showbiz. If I cannot induce members to
post about words I admire, then I can get members to post about the ones I disparage.
This is not an ego trip for me. I do not know a reliable way to indentify words that will
interest members. So by posting many words, including Klunkers, I hope by diversity I
may be successful in "inciting " posts.

Posted By: Faldage Re: in words - 02/21/03 08:32 PM
Do you consider immoral and illegal to be in words?

Posted By: wwh Re: in words - 02/21/03 09:04 PM
If guilty of being immoral, you make be expelled from chuch. So it is an "out word", not an "in word".
If guilty of an illegal act, you may get tossed into the slammer, so it is an "in word."

© Wordsmith.org