vt.
5< ?6 to draw (one‘s body, etc.) up so as to form a hump; arch into a hump
vi.
1 to move forward jerkily; push; shove
2 to sit or stand with the back arched
n.
1 a hump
2 a chunk; lump; hunk
>3 a guess or feeling not based on known facts; premonition or suspicion: from the superstition that it brings good luck to touch a hunchback

I never before heard the origin of "hunch" meaning "a guess".
Most famous hunchback in literature, Quasimodo, the hunchback of Notre Dame. I don't
recall plot ever involving anybody's touching him for good luck.

Posted By: wwh Re: hunch - 02/16/03 05:12 PM
hunker
vi.
5orig. dial., prob. < or akin to Faroese hokna, to crouch < ON hokra, to creep < IE *keuk3 (< base *keu3, to bend) > Sans w@wjm, to cower6 to settle down on one‘s haunches; squat or crouch: often with down
n.
[pl.]
1 haunches
2 buttocks; rump

Posted By: wwh Re: hure - 02/16/03 05:23 PM
I could find no English definition for this, and wonder how the Scripps-Howard's
Caroline's Corner would have defined it. In German, "Hure" is a female sex worker.
Which reminds me that the etymology of "prostitute" is a bit anomalous. Its root
is "stare" to stand. Not the ordinary posture of the sex worker.
Edit: belatedly I remember seeing Pompeii mural with sexworker standing astride
client supine recumbent on narrow table. De gustibus non est. Maybe he was fastidious
and desired no closer contact.

Posted By: wwh Re: hybosis - 02/16/03 05:39 PM
biologic taxonomic e.g. Silver chub (Hybosis storeriana

Posted By: wwh Re:hydrargyrum - 02/16/03 05:42 PM
hydargyrum - obsolete term for liquid mercury

Posted By: wwh Re: hygrodeik - 02/16/03 05:54 PM
Hygrodeik
A form of psychrometer with wet-bulb and dry-bulb thermometers mounted on opposite
sides of a specially designed graph of the psychrometric tables. It is so arranged that the
intersections of two curves determined by the wet-bulb and dry-bulb readings yield the relative
humidity, dew-point, and absolute humidity.

"psychrometer" is a word I haven't heard for sixty years. Sounds like a psychiatric word but isn't.

Posted By: wwh Re: hylophagous - 02/16/03 05:58 PM
Wood eating, not treefrog eating. Nor a threat to one of our members.

Posted By: wwh Re: hyoid - 02/16/03 06:03 PM
Did you know there is a bone in your tongue? Maybe this was posted previously.
hyoid
adj.
5Fr hyo:de < ModL hyoides < Gr hyoeidcs, shaped like the letter " (upsilon) < hy, upsilon + 3eidcs, 3OID6 designating or of a bone or bones supporting the tongue at its base: U3shaped in humans
n.
the hyoid bone or bones

Posted By: Faldage Re: hure - 02/16/03 07:31 PM
AHD claims not stare, to stand, but statuere, to cause to stand. All the difference in the world.

Posted By: wwh Re: hure - 02/16/03 08:25 PM
Dear Faldage: that does sound more logical. Inciddentally, I suspect the idiom "I won't stand
for thatt" isn't based on same root. The mare stands for the stallion. Lovely simile.

© Wordsmith.org