Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wwh frap - 02/01/03 08:49 PM
A nautical term, from sailing days:
Frap. To pass ropes round a sail to keep it from blowing loose. Also, to draw ropes round a vessel
which is weakened, to keep her together.

Posted By: wwh Re: fratority - 02/01/03 08:54 PM
A corny coinage:"fratority," ... a social group that blends the elements of a fraternity and a
sorority...

Posted By: wwh Re: freesia - 02/01/03 08:56 PM
freesia
n.
5ModL, after F. H. T. Freese, 19th-c. Ger physician6 any of a genus (Freesia) of South African bulbous plants of the iris family, with fragrant, usually white or yellow, funnel-shaped flowers

Posted By: wwh Re: frenulum - 02/01/03 09:19 PM
frenulum
n.,
pl. 3lums or 3la 73l!8 5ModL, dim. of frenum: see fol.6
1 a small frenum
2 Zool. a stiff bristle or group of bristles extending from the hind wing of some moths and interlocking with a structure on the front wing, linking the wings together in flight

The editors of my dictionary have overlooked a couple anatomical entities of occasional importance
At the base of the tongue there is a membrane in the midline that in rare instances limits the
movements of the tongue. There is a similar structure that attaches the prepuce to the base of the
glans penis that also occasionally prevents proper retraction of the foreskin. Surgical kits used to
provide a cannula, with a special tip with an open ended slot that would fit around the frenulum, making
it possible to cut it without injuring the surfaces to which the frenulum was attached.

Posted By: wwh Re: frontenis - 02/01/03 09:21 PM
frontenis

SYLLABICATION:
fron·ten·is
PRONUNCIATION:
AUDIO: frn-tns, frntns KEY
NOUN:
A Latin-American tennis game played on a three-walled
court.
ETYMOLOGY:
American Spanish, blend of Spanish frontón, jai alai court;
see fronton, and Spanish tenis, tennis (from English tennis).

Posted By: wwh Re frore - 02/01/03 09:22 PM
frore
adj.
5ME frore(n), frozen, pp. of fresen, FREEZE6 [Archaic] very cold; frosty; frozen

Posted By: wwh Re: frottage - 02/01/03 09:28 PM
frottage
n.
1 sexual gratification from rubbing against the body of another person
2 an artistic rubbing or tracing from a surface that is textured, raised, etc.

I have seen some of this on a crowded subway train, with outraged profanity produced.
When consensual between females it is called tribadism.
Search for that last word brought up an amazing encyclopedia. Shocking.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: frap - 02/01/03 09:46 PM
with a young puppy around, this is also an acronym:

frenetic random activity period

Posted By: wwh Re: frap - 02/01/03 09:59 PM
Dear etaoin: would you believe there is an etymological relationship between puddles and poodles?

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: frap - 02/01/03 10:18 PM
really? I wouldn't have guessed that.

enlighten me!

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Re frore - 02/01/03 10:27 PM
Odd that frore is archaic. It sounds like a term teens would like. No, not the super-intellectual teens who would visit this board and read it seriously. But teens who liked to use hip words or whatever they call hip words these days.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: frap - 02/01/03 10:30 PM
In fact, speaking of teens and frore, a frore frappe sounds like something they'd like to drink when out and about. 'Course that's a different frap from your sailing term, but what the heck. I can't imagine sailors who'd finished up a bit of frapping and then wanting to go ashore for a frore frappe.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: frottage - 02/01/03 10:33 PM
In reply to:

2 an artistic rubbing or tracing from a surface that is textured, raised, etc.

I have seen some of this on a crowded subway train, with outraged profanity produced.

Amazing! Another instance of contemporary art shocking the masses!

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: frap - 02/03/03 04:07 AM
>with a young puppy around<

Well, I've got a 3 and a half year old that's still a real frapper!

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Re frore - 02/16/03 02:14 PM
Just reporting in that central Virginia today wears a frore cape that becomes frorier by the hour.

© Wordsmith.org