Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wwh synergetic - 01/05/03 10:34 PM
An easy one.
synergetic
adj.
5Gr synergctikos < synergein, to work together: see SYNERGY6 working together; cooperating; synergic
syn#er[get$i[cal[ly
adv.

Posted By: wwh Re: dabchick - 01/05/03 10:35 PM
dabchick
n.
5DAB1 + CHICK: from the manner of diving6
1 the smallest European grebe (Podiceps ruficollis)
>2 PIED-BILLED GREBE

Posted By: wwh Re: dacoit - 01/05/03 10:47 PM
dacoit
n.
5Hindi Qakait, robber < Qaka, attack by robbers6 a member of a gang of robbers in India or Burma (Myanmar)

Posted By: wwh Re: dado - 01/05/03 10:49 PM
dado
n.,
pl. 3does 5It, a die, die-shaped part of pedestal, hence pedestal < L datum, a die, lit., what is given: see DATE16
1 the part of a pedestal between the cap and the base
2 the lower part of the wall of a room if decorated differently from the upper part, as with panels or an ornamental border
3 a) a rectangular groove cut in the side of one board so that another board may be fitted into it usually at right angles b) the joint thus made (in full, dado joint)
vt.
3doed, 3do[ing
1 to furnish with a dado
2 to fit into a dado groove
Also special blade for tablesaw to cut such grooves.

Posted By: wwh Re: danio - 01/05/03 10:52 PM
danio 7da4nc b#8
n.,
pl. 3os# 5ModL, old name of a genus < E Ind native name6 any of several brightly colored, tropical, Asiatic cyprinoid aquarium fish

Posted By: wwh Re: dariole - 01/05/03 10:54 PM
dariole [DEHR-ee-ohl; dah-ree-OHL] A French term referring to a
small, cylindrical mold, as well as to the dessert baked in it. .

Posted By: Wordwind Post deleted by Wordwind - 01/07/03 09:23 AM
Posted By: wwh Re: dado - 01/07/03 02:31 PM
Dear WW: my wife once took me to a beautiful farm that must have ;been fairly close to where
you are. All I remember is we went a bit south of west from Herndon for about forty miles, for
a meeting of sheep or quilti;ng people I forget which. I was surprised to see they were taising
turkeys on bare ground, which I had long ago been taught risked aspergillus infection. But I was
more impressed watchin a huge circular saw cutting panels out of a huge gum tree. which would
made beautiful wainscoting. Since dadoing edges of such panels would help make smooth joint,
I can imagine "dado" being used to refer to such wainscoting.

Posted By: emanuela dado = bouillon cube - 01/07/03 06:10 PM
in Italian, because of the shape(also die, of course)

© Wordsmith.org