Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wwh quomodo - 11/06/02 04:42 PM
My dictionary gives it as two words "quo modo" which is easy. But the spelling bee gave it
as one word.
quo modo
L
1 in what manner?
2 in the manner that

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: quomodo - 11/07/02 03:12 AM
this is quasi interesting...

Posted By: Faldage Re: quomodo - 11/07/02 11:12 AM
I'll give yer a quid fer that quo, Mr. Shrdlu.

Olim lacus quolueram

Posted By: Wordwind Re: quomodo-quasi - 11/07/02 12:13 PM
What does Quasimodo mean?

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: quomodo-quasi - 11/07/02 12:22 PM
Main Entry: Qua·si·mo·do
Pronunciation: "kwä-si-'mO-(")dO, "kwä-zi-
Function: noun
Etymology: Medieval Latin quasi modo geniti infantes as newborn babes (words of the introit for Low Sunday)
Date: circa 1847

fald- I'm just a dum cygnus...

Posted By: wwh Re: quomodo-quasi - 11/07/02 01:49 PM
I thought Quasimodo was the hunchback of Notre Dame. He was a quarterback who
always had lucky hunches.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: quomodo-quasi - 11/07/02 02:08 PM
Well, yes, wwh, Quasimodo was the Hunchback of Notre Dame. That's why I wondered what his name meant. How would that Latin phrase work into an English paraphrase? Is it just the portion about "newborn babes" that's operative here in Quasimodo's name. I'm lost...

Posted By: Faldage Re: quomodo-quasi - 11/07/02 02:19 PM
I checked it out in a Latin dictionary site and it comes back a little wispy to get translated all by its lonesome.

quasi [as if , just as], esp. in hypothetical comparisons; also with descriptions, [as it were, a sort of];

modus -i m. [a measure , standard of measurement]; in music, [rhythm, measure, time]; in plur., [strains, numbers]. Transf., [limit, boundary; rule; manner, mode, way, method]; 'servorum modo', [after the manner of slaves]; 'eius modi', [in that manner, of that kind].

Modo would be the dative or ablative singular (I think)

Posted By: Wordwind Re: quomodo-quasi - 11/07/02 02:26 PM
So, is Quasimodo an approximate measure of something--perhaps of the human spirit? A "measure" for us to take a look at, "as it were"?

© Wordsmith.org