Posted By: wwh

ceraunograph - 10/23/02 12:12 AM

ceraunograph = instrument for recording thunder and lightning

Would you believe there are half a dozen sites combining pornography
with that word?

Posted By: doc_comfort

Re: ceraunograph - 10/23/02 01:53 AM

ceraunograph = instrument for recording thunder and lightning.
Would you believe there are half a dozen sites combining pornography with that word?

Nothing to see here. Move along please. Especially if you are the gutter police.
Depends on the shape of the instrument

Posted By: Wordwind

Re: ceraunograph - 10/23/02 11:16 PM


Etymology, please.

Posted By: wwh

Re: ceraunograph - 10/24/02 12:41 AM

None of the definitions I could find gave any clue as to etymology. Dammit.

Posted By: Sparteye

Re: ceraunograph - 10/26/02 09:49 PM

Hmmm. I keep finding a seemingly related word, "keraunograph", which is a figure or picture impressed by lightening, with this etymology: Gr. &?; thunderbolt + graph.

Posted By: Faldage

Re: ceraunograph - 10/26/02 10:33 PM


When the Romans got a hold of a Greek word with a K (kappa) in it they generally replaced it with a C (which was always hard in the Classical days). The C became softened before an e or an i to, variously, a ch, s or ts sound, depending on the language. Keraunograph is just the more Greek spelling of ceraunograph.

Posted By: Wordwind

Re: ceraunograph - 10/28/02 08:58 AM

And, Sparteye, I've heard of these keraunographs, although I hadn't heard this word before. But I have heard of people standing before a glass window where a bolt of lightning has caused an image to be left there on the glass.

However, there are myths about impressions of trees left on people's skin. What is actually left on the skin of people hit by lightning is apparently a tracing of the moisture on their skin into a tree-like pattern.

I do wish someone could find the etymology of ceraunograph...

Posted By: amblypygid

Re: ceraunograph - 02/14/05 12:03 AM

The word is from keraunos, Gr. for "thunderbolt" (+ graph, to draw, of course).

Posted By: maverick

Re: ceraunograph - 02/14/05 12:19 AM

Welcome, ambly. Sounds like there should be an etymology for that name too?!

Posted By: tsuwm

Re: ceraunograph - 02/14/05 01:42 AM

>Would you believe there are half a dozen sites combining pornography with that word?

had I been paying more attention "below the fold" when wwh was doing this, I would have pointed out that one of the tricks that webmasters use to generate search hits is to take a word list and make all the words therein into keywords, so that any search for any of those words will generate a hit for that site.

one result of this sort of thing is hits that look like this: ...cerambycidae ceramiaceous ceramography ceratitoidea ceratocystis ceratopsidae ceratopteris ceratosaurus ceratothecal ceraunograph ceraunomancy ceraunophone...

this one happens to come from a list of 12-letter words that turns up when you search for ceraunograph. but if you go to the end of the hits generated for this word and take the link, you may indeed be surprised, and you can search in vain for your word -- because it's embedded in the HTML.

nefarious, eh? but, you never see this with most words because the search algorithms end up sticking those sites at the end of the "hit list". : )

many an obscure word ends up obviousizing this tecnique; i.e., I've seen it a lot researching potential wwftds!

Posted By: Wordwind

Re: ceraunograph - 02/14/05 01:57 AM

Grosssssssssssssss! wwh sent me a shorter link to the amblypygid . This is the ugliest spider in the world except to other amblypygid s:


Edit: Well, actually the spider is an Ambylypygid. Close enough.

Second edit: Well, actually the word is spelled two ways on the above page, so I take the one in the red edit is incorrect. Here's the genus: Amblypygi
Posted By: tsuwm

Re: amblypygid - 02/14/05 01:57 AM

let us hope that it's not to be taken too literally.

ambly- dim; blunt
pygid (small?) rump

now, callipygian.. or spheropygian

: )

Posted By: amblypygid

Re: amblypygid - 02/14/05 04:10 AM

At risk of going off-topic (I don't know how it's looked upon here but some forums are very strict...):

1. 'Amblylypygid' is certainly a typo; the word is amblypygid
2. Amblypygids are not spiders, but belong to a different order -
3. - Amblypygi, which isn't a genus. The genus of the animal shown is Damon. There are around a couple of dozen genera in all.

Some south american spcies can reach in excess of two feet across the 'whips'.

The article is interesting, incidentally. It's a strange thing to lose in Brighton (not many people keep them, and they're generally both quite expensive and not easy to get hold of).

Posted By: Faldage

Re: amblypygid - 02/14/05 11:18 AM

risk of going off-topic

Around here it's practically required.

So, what differentiates amblypygids and spiders?

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu

Re: amblypygid - 02/14/05 12:12 PM

>So, what differentiates amblypygids and spiders?

amblypygids have curly tails...

Posted By: of troy

Re: amblypygid - 02/14/05 03:50 PM

re: At risk of going off-topic

the lower you go down the topics, the less strict we become.. down here, (below the fold) it's not quite a free for all, but almost!

but up in Q & A about words, or A & I, we are a bit more titchy-- and well, complain.. if you start out 'off topic'

you can get away with it, but only if the post subject is, really, really interesting, (to EVERYONE) and since that happens only once every 60 thousand years or so..

but even up there, most things go off topic eventually...

Posted By: Zed

Re: amblypygid - 02/15/05 12:00 AM

Some south american spcies can reach in excess of two feet across the 'whips'.
And to think I used to want to visit S. Amer.

Posted By: maverick

Re: amblypygid - 02/15/05 12:44 AM

yeahbut they got small feet :)

© 2019 Wordsmith.org