Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wwh epopt - 10/22/02 10:14 PM
Not in my dictionary, but here's a uRl I found interesting.
epopt: A ‘beholder’; in Gr. Antiq. a person fully initiated into the
Eleusinian mysteries. Also transf. 1696 TOLAND Christianity not Myst. 167 The right of
seeing every thing, or being Epopts. 1798 W. TAYLOR in Monthly Mag. VI. 552 Those..who
obtained the insight of these revelations, called themselves Epopts, Seers, or the Initiated.
1833 Brit. Mag. III. 48 That which has made us in some sort epopts of those mysteries which
are between this world and the next. 1850 GROTE Greece II. lviii. (1862) V. 183 Addressing his
companions as Mysts and Epopts. Hence e'poptic a, of or pertaining to an epopt.
epoptics n. pl., e'poptist = EPOPT. 1770 LANGHORNE Plutarch's Lives, Alexander (ed.
Tegg) 467 Those more secret and profound branches of science, which they call acroamatic
and epoptic. 1711 tr. Werenfel's Disc. Logom. 99 Aristotle's Books of deep Learning, his
Acroamaticks, Esotericks, Epopticks, and mysterious Writings. a1652 J. SMITH Sel. Disc. i. 10
Hidden mysteries in divine truth..which cannot be discerned but only by divine Epoptists.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: epopt - 10/22/02 10:47 PM
Thanks alot, Dr. Bill...I was saving this, epopt, as my first Hogwash® word, as soon as there was a lull in the action...now it may be months before I find another word I think I can sneak past all these wordhounds (sigh). You just beheaded my first Hogwash® initiative.

© Wordsmith.org