Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wwh Gravelotte - 12/29/03 02:15 PM
From Of Human Bondage Philip is living with a German teacher who has severnteen boarders. It is so noisy at dinner that Philip compares it to artillery at Gavelotte.
That was an important battle in Franco-Prussian war.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Gravelotte/Gavelotte - 01/01/04 12:44 PM
My knowledge of history is truly horrible, so I have no idea which was your typo, Bill. Was it 'Gravelotte' in the thread heading or 'Gavelotte' in your text? I'm guessing it was probably the subject heading.

Is there anything of significance I should know about this battle? Anything distinct about it?

Posted By: Faldage Re: Gravelotte/Gavelotte - 01/01/04 01:23 PM
Gavelotte is the typo

http://www.lbdb.com/TMDisplayBattle.cfm?BID=314&WID=23

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Gravelotte/Gavelotte - 01/01/04 02:08 PM
Thank you, Faldage. I just read that very brief account of the battle and was immediately struck why I cannot stand reading such accounts--statistics, turns, places, numbers down--and I may as well be reading a manual on how to operate some kind of instrument. It would be so much better to be taken inside the battle rather than view it from such as statistical kind of account. In other words, I have no idea of anything distinctive about this battle other than the results were 'inconclusive.' Oh, well. I suppose war is finally and always about numbers.

© Wordsmith.org