Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wwh hummus - 12/23/03 01:34 AM
News story about Baghdad tonight mentions shops selling
"hummus".
hummus
Noun 1. hummus - a thick spread made from mashed chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice and garlic; used especially as a dip for pita; originated in the Middle East

Posted By: of troy Re: hummus - 12/23/03 12:48 PM
chick peas show up in all sorts of ways in mid eastern cooking.. whole, lightly pickled (similar to 3 bean salad) coarsely ground, mix with parsley, onion and other vegetables, formed into small balls and fried (falafal)--they are a versital form of protein. Hummas is one of my favorites.. i have a tin of tahini in the cupboard, but i also have a small tin of readymade hummas -- i sometimes dine on hummas and bhabhagunish (don't have any in the fridge now.. so i have no idea how to spell it!) mashed roast eggplant, seasoned with garlic and herbs, basicly.

(and didn't someone just mention (and i thought it gross) that they sometimes substituted peanut butter for tahini (sesame paste)-when making hummas?)

Posted By: Faldage Re: Peanut butter in hummus - 12/23/03 01:17 PM
I've tried to make hummus a couple of times and it keeps coming out too solid. I've blamed it on the tahini. I'm going to try it with peanut butter.

Posted By: of troy Re: Peanut butter in hummus - 12/23/03 03:32 PM
i always add a bit of water the bean were cooked in.. or more lemon juice.. the ready made canned hummas is at times to soft and liquid for my taste.. (its as soft as yogurt) i like hummas some what thick-- (like soft mashed potatoes--stiff enough to almost keep its shape--but soft and creamy in the mouth.

try warming the tahini before mixing it in.. (set the jar or can in a warm bowl of water..and stir well) you can also add a bit of sesame oil to make it 'creamier'--softer and richer tasting at the same time-which defeats the purpose of eating hummas, and turns it from a not to high calorie vegetable dish into a calorie laden 'vegetable pate'!

Posted By: Faldage Re: Peanut butter in hummus - 12/23/03 03:43 PM
Thanks helen. I'll give it a try.

© Wordsmith.org