Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wwh tilt - 11/06/03 03:39 PM
"This extremely artful suggestion Mr. Barkis accompanied with a nudge of his elbow that gave me quite a stitch in my side. After that, he slouched over his horse in his usual manner; and made no other reference to the subject except, half an hour afterwards, taking a piece of chalk from his pocket, and writing up, inside the tilt of the cart, 'Clara Peggotty' - apparently as a private memorandum."

All the horse-drawn waggons used to have a vertical barrier in front of the driver's feet to protect against horses' hooves splashing mud on the driver. Many had on top of the upright barrier, a six or eight inch addition tilted forward at about forty five degrees, for increased protection.
Incidentally, the instrument panel of an automobile is still commonly called the "dash board" as a carry-over from the horse and buggy days.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: tilt - 12/27/03 12:11 PM
How sweet this sentimental journey, wwh! These are things that would be lost had it not been for writers such as Dickens. Just imagining riding about in a buggy with a tilt that could double as a chalkboard for random thoughts makes me feel connected with those long gone as I jot myself notes on Post-It notes at stop lights.

I don't understand the dash board connection. The board, of course, having been made of wood--but what of the 'dash'? Why called 'dash'? Simply for speed? (Which makes me think of the dasher in the ice cream maker, but I don't suppose that's connected, too....)

Posted By: wwh Re: tilt - 12/27/03 01:53 PM
A Scots lass declined to let a young Scot carry her across
the river Dee, where the ford consisted just of stone steps
spaced a stride apart.
Said he:"Is it the gleam in me ee ye're afeerd o' ?"
She replied:"Nae, t'is the tilt o' yer kilt I'm afeerd o'!"

Posted By: Bingley Re: tilt - 01/01/04 12:54 AM
Presumably the dashboard was to stop mud and other undesirable substances being dashed against you.

Bingley
Posted By: Wordwind Re: tilt - 01/01/04 12:37 PM
Ah, that makes sense, Bingley. Thank you.

© Wordsmith.org