Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wwh manical - 07/14/03 08:03 PM
In charge of the Catalina’s house, was an old Scotchman, who, like most of his countrymen, had a pretty good education, and, like many of them, was rather pragmatical, manical., and had a ludicrously solemn conceit

Edit: I found no definition for "manical" - only typos for "maniacal". I have no idea what Dana meant.

Posted By: maverick Re: manical - 07/14/03 09:15 PM
A male sub into chains?

Posted By: Wordwind Re: manical - 07/14/03 09:34 PM
Manical as a typo for maniacal doesn't work in the sentence without a bit of a stretch of the imagination.

It's difficult imagining a person who is both maniacal and has a ludicrously solemn conceit.

I looked, too, wwh, for 'manical' and couldn't find it in any of my sources. Does the character description go on to show someone who is both maniacal and solemn?

Posted By: Wordwind Re: manical - 07/14/03 09:38 PM
I'm arguing with myself:

OK. We have this character who is pragmatical, maniacal, but who thinks of himself as being solemn. Because--in his maniacalness--he views himself as being solemn, we must view his self-conceit to be ludicrous. Perhaps that's why the phrase used in the writing is 'ludicrous solemn conceit'--or his self concept is of a man who is solemn. We say to this: Balderdash!

Maybe that's it, wwh. A typo for maniacal and a character is anything but solemn.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: manical - 07/15/03 01:49 AM
there is an adverb, manically, which is formed from manic.
I don't think there is much difference between manically and maniacally...

Posted By: wwh Re: manical - 07/15/03 12:47 PM
Thanks for your replies, but none of them seem to make sense has extenders of "pragmatical".

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: manical - 07/15/03 01:00 PM
I don't think manical is an extender of pragmatical, it's a separate adjective. He's a busybody, a little bit manic, and his solemn conceit is an air that he puts on, that's why it's ludicrous.
manical is just an -al form of manic, in the same way Dana uses pragmatical.
try it this way:
>was rather pragmatic, manic, and had a ludicrously solemn conceit

what say you?

Posted By: wwh Re: manical - 07/15/03 02:40 PM
"manic" in psychiatry means strong tendency to be excited, over talkative, irrational. I doubt that use of the word existed in Dana's day. I still have no idea what Dana meant.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: manical - 07/15/03 05:24 PM
ah. both the OED and M-W give 1902.

© Wordsmith.org