Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Wordwind The Odyssey Theme Park - 02/05/04 12:12 AM
If you were going to design a Homer's Odyssey theme park, which rides and attractions would you put into it and what would happen inside those rides and attractions?

I would have "Flight from Polyphemus" in which you had to ride three rams (motorized and moving at fast paces) underneath a huge swinging figure of Polyphemus. You'd win if you didn't drop off, and you'd lose if you did. You'd land on a mat so you couldn't sue the theme park people. The motorized rams would go so fast that most people would drop off.

What would you put into your Odyssey theme park?

I'd really like to know because my kids at school are going to have to design such a park, but I want to draw up prototype so they can see how they could do one.

Thank you very much for y'all's ideas--I always use them.

Posted By: sjmaxq Re: The Odyssey Theme Park - 02/05/04 12:16 AM
>What would you put into your Odyssey theme park?

You mean Janet Jackson wasn't trying out for a job there with her Superbowl performance?

Posted By: Wordwind Re: The Odyssey Theme Park - 02/05/04 12:21 AM
Very funny, Max. You did make me laugh. But now, please, come up with one ride. Thanks. Or one attraction. Janet Jackson wasn't in Homer's Odyssey, as you know, 'less you were thinking about her trying out for Circe or somethin'...

Posted By: sjmaxq Re: The Odyssey Theme Park - 02/05/04 12:28 AM
I was thinking of the sirens, DubDub.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: round and round it goes... - 02/05/04 12:34 AM
well the whirlpool's a given, no?

boy, I hope there's a whirlpool in the Odyssey...

Posted By: sjmaxq Re: round and round it goes... - 02/05/04 12:40 AM
>well the whirlpool's a given, no?

And we could have Sting on a precipice singing his line about being caught between Scylla and Charybdis.

Posted By: Bingley Re: The Odyssey Theme Park - 02/05/04 05:51 AM
In reply to:

You mean Janet Jackson wasn't trying out for a job there with her Superbowl performance?

No, no, no. It was Odysseus who was starkers and had to cover up his bits with a tree branch. Don't know quite how you're going to include that bit.

Bingley

Posted By: Wordwind Re: The Odyssey Theme Park - 02/05/04 09:36 PM
Thanks, guys. You're really helping me out a lot! Sheesh.

Actually, I like the whirlpool. That would be great, as you suggested, for Scylla and Charybdis: the water park part of the theme park. Fun to imagine what would happen there!

Restaurant: Lotus Eaters Restaurant. (Much too boring of an idea, so can you think of something original to do with the Lotus Eaters, for instance?)

Thanks, et', for the whirlpool. S and C Water Park will be fun to draw and explain.

How 'bout the Cattle of the Sun? (And no smart comments about mad cow disease!)

Posted By: Bingley Re: The Odyssey Theme Park - 02/06/04 03:57 AM
How about a rifle range with bows and arrows instead of rifles, and shooting through the axe heads.

Bingley
Posted By: Faldage Re: Lotus Eaters - 02/06/04 02:49 PM
Put all the little kiddies in a room and fill it full of marijuana smoke.

Posted By: consuelo Re: Lotus Eaters - 02/11/04 12:29 AM
It worked with cats

Posted By: Capfka Re: Lotus Eaters - 03/07/04 01:47 PM
You could allus get the local fire department to come down and give you a rousing chorus of the songs the sirens sang ... question is, who gets lashed at - sorry, I mean to the mast?

Oh, and I had a teacher in about year 3 of primary school who would have made an amazing Gorgon, no makeup required. There's bound to be one just like her in your vicinity. About 55, embittered, divorced, recently given up smoking and no fashion sense. Ask around!
Posted By: Capfka Re: Fleecing Your Punters - 03/07/04 01:53 PM
Slightly off theme (park), but you could always get the local tax department officials to set up an office in your park. It would be called "The Greenback Fleece" theme ride. You get turned upside and shaken until all your dosh falls into their hands. You could be called Jason for the occasion, I suppose!

Posted By: dalehileman Re: Fleecing Your Punters - 02/12/06 08:09 PM
By coincidence here's a hot brawl at WordWizard about punting

http://www.wordwizard.com/ch_forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7002

My critics maintain that a Knight-Ridder news report that Bush is punting on some of the issues is an editorial statement accusing him of unscrupulousness

But I maintain that while "punts" might not have been exactly the correct word to use here, that it was not consciously intended by the K-R reporter to be pejorative and that most news organizations (except possibly Fox) intend their news stories to be neutral in tone

Any support for my interpretation? Thanks to all
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Fleecing Your Punters - 02/12/06 09:39 PM
>an editorial statement accusing him of unscrupulousness

I would have, rather, thought it was (yet another) comment on Bush's unwittedness. (to coin a word)

One usually punts, as a USn (which Bush is), on fourth down, when you have no more positive actions you can take without great risk.

INTRANSITIVE VERB: 1. To execute a punt. 2. Informal To cease doing something; give up: Let's punt on this and try something else.

I think the word was well chosen if the tenor of the editorial overall shows some political bias.
Posted By: inselpeter Re: Fleecing Your Punters - 02/13/06 02:12 AM
You go to a bar where there's a gaggle of men hanging around. Everyone ignores you. A dog comes up and pees on your leg. A barmaid leaves some other guy at the table they've been sharing and throws herself at you.
Posted By: musick ...throws herself at you.... - 02/13/06 06:23 PM
It *sounds like she's decided to punt.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Fleecing Your Punters - 02/13/06 06:56 PM
Quote:

I think the word was well chosen if the tenor of the editorial overall shows some political bias.

Yeahbut® was it an editorial or a news report?
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Fleecing Your Punters - 02/13/06 08:22 PM
Supposedly it was a news report
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Fleecing Your Punters - 02/13/06 08:43 PM
here it is under two different bylines.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Fleecing Your Punters - 02/13/06 08:47 PM
gotta take those " out of the url, t.

or use snipurl...
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Fleecing Your Punters - 02/13/06 08:51 PM
Tsu: Thank you for that. Definitely it's a news report, even though it's describing criticisms of Bush's move

Incidentally it was quite a hassle searching the site for this thread in order to reply to your followup. I wonder if somehow you can figure a way to bring it up into Q&A or Weekly Themes, where others will be more likely to read it. I don't know how to do stuff like that
Posted By: BranShea Re: Lotus Eaters - 02/18/11 10:04 AM
s......p......a......m
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Lotus Eaters - 02/18/11 04:11 PM
You clicked on a very old thread, kamo, 2006.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Lotus Eaters - 02/18/11 10:08 PM
Originally Posted By: BranShea
s......p......a......m

if it's spam, then click the "Notify" button.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Lotus Eaters - 02/18/11 11:20 PM
It was on another thread: and I did notify.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Lotus Eaters - 07/11/11 03:11 PM
appears to be spam: notified
© Wordsmith.org