Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Wordwind Birds in Glass - 02/10/05 12:37 AM
Well, I have regrettably discovered today why it's not a good idea to leave birdseed in the windowsill. I'd thought to leave seed on the porch roof just down from my window. Fine. Lots of birds have discovered the place and I can watch them while typing here.

But I became greedy for birds and began leaving seed on the windowsill right here at my computer. All went well. Even a few tree rats discovered the stash and I began to see squirrels going after the sunflower seeds, scaring away the birds, of course, but only for a while.
A piliated woodpecker visited, not three feet from my eyes. Extraordinary! Just this morning.

But:

By this afternoon there was a kind of feeding frenzy and a few birds flew into the window. So, I won't leave seed there anymore. The roof, which is about six feet away, will have to do. Live and learn.

Posted By: themilum Re: Birds in Glass - 02/10/05 10:55 AM
Don't be a quitter, Birdfriend, be inventive. Write a note in soap on your window that says..
[This is not a flyway this is a window]
Who knows, maybe birds can read, but if they can't they might as least wonder who is writting on air and pause and reflect. Some people post little stickem stars on their windows.
I, myself, smugly, have a fine mesh screen that is fitted outside my viewing window, but anyway, my colorful avian guests feed away in a nearby tree.

Besides the real show this Febuary will not be by your roof but in the nearby fields, yards and sky where vast flocks of blackbirds can be seen. Be a good little Virginia birdwatcher and observe their behavior and count them and report back to us here at Awad. Please?

Thank you.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Birdfeeder - 02/10/05 12:29 PM
Have you thought about getting one, WW? I've seen birdfeeders you can attach to or near the window.

Posted By: Zed Re: Birdfeeder - 02/14/05 11:53 PM
I miss my birdfeeder. Had one on the apartment balcony and was fascinated by the different behavior of various species but then the pigeons found it and made such a mess that the building manager objected. I still "accidently " leave out a bic shallow plant saucer of water in the summer though and most of the birds come tho for shorter visits.

© Wordsmith.org