Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wwh bird vision - 11/10/03 08:49 PM
Dear WW and Faldage: Here is a sensational URL about bird vision. I confess I haven't read it all yet.
http://www.biology.eku.edu/RITCHISO/birdbrain2.html

Posted By: Faldage Re: bird vision - 11/10/03 09:00 PM
Just a brief glance looks fascinating. Thanks, Dr Bill.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: bird vision - 11/10/03 11:48 PM
I'd just like to understand how those fast fliers navigate through the woods so quickly without apparently hitting themselves in the head with so many branches. I sure as heck have problems sometimes woods navigating at a lethargic pace.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: bird vision - 11/11/03 12:18 AM
another great site, Bill! thanks!

Posted By: wwh Re: bird vision - 11/11/03 01:59 AM
Dear WW:One of the birds' secrets is the fact that their nerve pathways are relatively short. It takes an appreciable fraction of a second for nerve impulse to travel from brain to an extremity, so small animals can react much sooner than humans can.
I think the big dynasaurs must have had to wait a week for message from brain to reach their hind legs.
Remember the old parlor trick of telling a kid he can have a dollar hung vertically between his thumb and index finger, if he can close them before dollar drops through them? Kids look very much amazed.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: bird vision - 11/11/03 10:40 PM
Oh, many thanks, wwh, for that explanation. I have often wondered how in the world birds navigated so quickly through dense woods. The short nerve pathway does make some sense as a theory, so thanks for giving me that fodder to ponder!

© Wordsmith.org