Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wwh jicama - 11/03/02 08:30 PM
I've seen these in supermarket, but had no idea how it should be prepared.
Consuelo, are they a welcome change from potatoes?

ji[ca[ma 7hc4k! m!8
n.
5MexSp j>cama < Nahuatl6 the large, white, fleshy root of a Mexican vine, eaten raw or cooked

Posted By: Wordwind Re: jicama - 11/03/02 10:52 PM
wwh, just out of curiosity, why do you post about flora on the fauna forum?

Posted By: wwh Re: jicama - 11/03/02 10:57 PM
Any port in a storm. And animals eat them.

Posted By: Fiberbabe Re: jicama - 11/06/02 02:50 AM
Ooh! I love jicama! I've never had it cooked, although I imagine one could use them in place of turnips... they have a similar texture. I've always eaten it raw, including it in crudite plates ~ it's got a very delicate, slightly sweet flavor. Just peel it and cut it into sticks, or shred it over salad. Great stuff!

Posted By: Flamsterette_X Re: jicama - 11/12/02 01:13 AM
I've had it cooked. My mom sometimes buys them from the supermarket, and cooks them up to use in dinner dishes, mostly. It's not too bad cooked at all!

"Did you eat another dictionary?" -- what an online friend said to me once
Posted By: wwh Re: jicama - 11/12/02 01:57 AM
I tried to send this as a PM, but got error message saying that user name unknown.
Dear Flamsterette X; A special invitation to you to make
some comments about the words I am posting in "Beheading Words". That forum is so little used that I am posting a bunch of words used in the National Spelling Bees, becasue
quite a few of them were new to me, and I hope new to other members. Regrettably most members prefer chat to word posts.
I hope from your signature line that you a word enthusiast.
I would very much welcome your comments on some of those
words. Ye Olde Curmudgeon, Bill Hunt

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Curmudgeon - 11/12/02 01:08 PM
You're the most captivating captious curmudgeon on the board, wwh.

The only reason I posted the above was to use the word captious. I like that word. It's one a lot of people don't really understand when you use it. They get it confused with captivating, and I think it's funny when they do.

So what you have here from me is a bit of chat, neither captivating nor captious, but word-related.

Posted By: wwh Re: Curmudgeon - 11/12/02 02:14 PM
Captain Captious. That's a handle that would fit me. Thanks.
This is your Captain speaking. I have a long list of spelling bee words to post,
Hope some of you will find some of them worth commenting about.

© Wordsmith.org