Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wwh passerine - 09/11/02 06:12 PM
I had seen this word used in bird books, but never defined. I just learned that it
is the group of birds with feet adapted to perching!

at same site learned three adjectives describing snakes, but haven't looked them
up yet. anguine, elapine, colubrine. I am pretty sure that colubrine = cobra family.

Posted By: Faldage Re: colubrine - 09/11/02 06:15 PM
Snake, en espaņol is culebra.

Snake, latine is anguis.
Posted By: wwh Re: elapine - 09/11/02 06:19 PM
elapine
adj.
5< ModL Elapinae, name of the subfamily < Elaps, a genus of venomous snakes (< MGr elaps serpent, fish, altered < Gr ellops + 3inae, 3INAE6 of or pertaining to a family (Elapidae) of poisonous snakes with small, erect fangs, including the cobras and coral snakes
el$a[pid# 73pid#8

As Faldage correctly hints, colubrine means just in snake family. I goofed thinking cobra.
n.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: erect fants - 09/11/02 06:21 PM
What would opposite "erect fangs" be? I mean, are some fangs always in position and other kind of stay tucked away to pop out at the necessary time?

Posted By: wwh Re: erect fangs - 09/11/02 06:28 PM
Dear WW: Rattlesnakes have fangs as part of a parallelogram of bones that collapse
flat when mouth is closed, but erect the fang when mouth is open. Rattlesnakes basically
stab with long fangs which point ahead when mouth is open. Coral snakes have to chew
on you to get poison into wound.

A long time ago reading about Panama Canal I saw "Culebra Cut" . Thanks, Faldage.

And anguine means just snakelike.

© Wordsmith.org