Wordsmith.org
Posted By: BranShea Monkfish or Sea Devil - 09/11/08 09:56 AM
Back below sealevel. Monkfish( Lophius piscatorius )

I like to watch the BBC 2 program "Trawler".
Yesterday there was a boat with catches of loads and loads of monkfish.When they gave a close up I saw that this is the rather expensive fish we call sea devil. (zeeduivel)
What a strange controversial (?) outcome for two languages so closely connected.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Monkfish or Sea Devil - 09/11/08 10:23 AM
Local names vary widely even within the same language. I can't think of any examples as good as the monk/devil dichotomy offhand but I'm sure someone will come up with some.
Posted By: Zed Re: Monkfish or Sea Devil - 09/12/08 07:17 AM
Anyone know of the origin of the two names?
Posted By: BranShea Re: Monkfish or Sea Devil - 09/12/08 10:56 AM
Well, there's information enough about the monkfish,
monkfish and it has other( goosefish ) and local names as well, but what surprised me was that the English names are so undescriptive.
I'm a visuality addict and I look at the creature and try to see the monk in it. No way.
Seadevil, Yes! just look at it! (link) The other Dutch name Hozemond (Hugemouth)(or maybe Heavemouth) definitely yes. Online etymology has no aswer (so maybe there isn't) Sobeit!
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Monkfish or Sea Devil - 09/12/08 01:23 PM
Some details about the sea monk (link) which may or may not help. It seems that amongst the fish called monkfish in English are included two genuses: Lophius (anglerfish) and Squatina (angelsharks).
Posted By: Zed Re: Monkfish or Sea Devil - 09/13/08 07:18 AM
Erk! I knew it was ugly but I hadn't realized it was BIG. It grows to 5 feet long!
Posted By: BranShea Re: Monkfish or Sea Devil - 09/13/08 09:14 AM
\:\) It was the word. I didn't choose it for ugliness' sake.
If you take a look at zmjezhd's link the monk they thought the fish looked like is equally ugly. (Thanks for that link, zmjehzd)).
A somewhat farfetched resemblance , but they may have had Savonarola in mind who was actively brandishing sinners a little before that time and was as ugly as a monkfish indeed.

Savonarola

Well, that monk ended up fried like a monkfish.
© Wordsmith.org