Wordsmith.org
Posted By: BranShea reindeer - 12/05/07 12:00 PM
"reindeer" and "rendier".

As I automatically compare English with home language, the word reindeer caught my attention and I looked up its etymology.

I always thought "reindeer" came from " rein "; a deer that could be reined, controlled to pull a sledge.

For Dutch I thought it came from running . Ren means: run and dier means: animal in today's language. I thought "rendier" = : running animal.

In fact in origin it is a reduncancy : animal animal.
That's why I love language. reindeer There is no end to these litttle surprises.

Posted By: zmjezhd Re: reindeer - 12/05/07 03:14 PM
Ain't language wunnerful?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: reindeer - 12/05/07 04:05 PM
psst, zmj..

I'd ask about 'process' here, but we both know the score. (:

-ron o.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: reindeer - 12/05/07 04:56 PM
'process'

Aye, och, it is a fine line between process cheese food product and mechanically separated meat.

zmj (two-bit ironwit) ezhd
Posted By: BranShea Re: reindeer - 12/05/07 05:15 PM
psst, -ren o joe This so-called 'process '? A question on the Q.T. over my head and in the full limelight? See? Can't you ask for the obvious yourself?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: reindeer - 12/05/07 05:53 PM
by way of acknowledging an affront to netiquette: yes, I shouldn't have posted that aside to jheem in the clear. I should have sent a PM, or at least cleverly hidden it in white. sometimes I get lazy like that. sometimes, even, I go for the cheap, self-entertaining laugh.

it was a cross-thread in only the most egregious and far-fetched sense; i.e., from another board.

-joe (additional rationalizations forthcoming) friday
Posted By: BranShea Re: reindeer - 12/05/07 11:31 PM
Just
you see,the quote button tells how cleverly hidden those white words are it's pretty inconsiderate to provoque zmj to mention mechanically seperated meat on a thread that is supposed to be about reindeer. Pretty most inconsiderate. No presents for you this year; coal, tar and feathers.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: reindeer - 12/06/07 01:45 AM
>No presents for you this year; coal, tar and feathers.

dang. just like last year.

-ron o.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: reindeer - 12/06/07 03:22 AM
a thread that is supposed to be about reindeer

I see people eating caribou. Saami, Inuktitut. You decide. Back to words. Have you ever noticed that in Europe, it's elk, but in Canada, it's moose? Same with reindeer and caribou, in respecitvely.
Posted By: of troy Re: reindeer - 12/06/07 04:08 AM
elk and moose are the same animals? are you sure?

(i only know roosevelt elk, a western US species--they also made there homes in the Bronz zoo)

and elk are western (other side of mississippi animals.. (moose live in maine.) or so it seems to me...
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: reindeer - 12/06/07 04:22 AM
elk and moose are the same animals? are you sure?

Well, Alces alces, is called moose in New World and elk in Europe. Check out their distribution and this. In the States, there's a large deer also called elk. In Sweden, there is an elk test or "Älgtest in Swedish, [which] has been used in Sweden for decades to test how a certain vehicle, usually an automobile, acts when avoiding a sudden danger, such as a moose."

zmj (many words have many meanings) ezhd

[Corrected typo.]
Posted By: BranShea Re: reindeer - 12/06/07 10:38 AM
I see people eating caribou. Saami, Inuktitut.

It was a side reference to the fact that while the Santa is on the air mentioning reindeer or caribou combined with "meat" might affect the quality of you presents. I should use the smileys more often.

elk or moose:
There is an interesting novel called "Le Roi des aulnes (The Ogre, aka The Erl King) (1970)by Michel Tournier. Place of action mainly North-East Prussia where the protagonist one day at dusk comes unexpectedly face to face with a gigantic old lone moose. Awsome description. If your interested:
Michel Tournier
Posted By: tsuwm Re: reindeer - 12/06/07 03:09 PM
I found an English translation, wherein the animals are called elk:

The elk of Canada was blind. Now Tiffauges understood the begging demeanor, the awkward gait, the somnambulistic slowness...

moose and elk (wapiti) are differentiated here, as seen in these pictures.

personal note: the Minnesota zoo has both moose and caribou, kept in expansive areas; they aren't kept together.

I've also seen moose in the wild (from a canoe, at a nice safe distance), in the BWCA of northern Minnesota.

edit: correction for wapiti
Posted By: BranShea Re: reindeer - 12/06/07 05:19 PM
Thanks a lot for those links stuwm. Beautiful land and animals.

>The elk of Canada was blind. Now Tiffauges understood the begging demeanor, the awkward gait, the somnambulistic slowness...<

Yes! That's it, good find that matches the book: Tiffauges is a prisoner of war in a concentration camp;he digs a tunnel for a way out. Not to escape (he's got nowhere to go) but to visit a little cabin in the woodlands he calls "Canada".
As long as he makes these sorties he smuggles roots and bread to feed the blind elk.

Edit: tsuwm.Comparing the two pictures of Moose and Waipiti, Tiffauges' elk was a moose. The prolongued head and the 'fernlike' antlers plus the seize make this animal outstanding among all other kinds of deer.

Posted By: Maven Re: reindeer - 12/06/07 11:20 PM
The Moose distribution map is way off, even by historical standards. Alces alces are present in most of the Rockies, with large populations in Montana, Idaho, Utah, Wyoming and Colorado. I'm not sure about New Mexico, nor the states further west.

Elk too have populations in the Rockies, notably Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah and Idaho.

Both animals were primarily plains dwellers until the pioneers settled and started tearing up earth for crops. They gradually moved into the mountains, leaving deer and Pronghorns as the ungulates of the plains.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: reindeer - 12/07/07 02:12 AM
Just to be absolutely clear. Alces alces is called moose in the Western Hemisphere and elk (in English) in the Eastern one (for instance, look at the pictures of elk in this BBC article on the Kostroma Elk farm in Russia). The different species, Cervus canadensis, called elk or wapiti in Canada and the USA. They are similar to the red deer, Cervus elaphus, of Europe. More to the words end of things: Latin alces 'elk' is cognate with Old English eolh, German Elch, Russian лось (los').
Posted By: BranShea Re: reindeer - 12/07/07 09:07 AM
Abolutely clear is also that with the move from Europe to The New World some animal names have brought with them some little confusians. It's the waipiti also being called elk that does it. Like the hare-rabbit thing.
But we need not bicker over these.

Thanks for the new to me word un·gu·lat, Maven !
(Having hooves.)

The different species, Cervus canadensis, called elk or wapiti in Canada and the USA. They are similar to the red deer, Cervus elaphus, of Europe. More to the words end of things: Latin alces 'elk' is cognate with Old English eolh, German Elch, Russian лось (los').

>>Cervus elaphus then comes closest to Dutch " eland ". In the days of PIE and roots and Indo-Germanic migrations we peasants, traders, fishermen did go with alces alces and neither elk nor moose. " Eland " we call'em. Is that so? elaphus - eland, according to Djeem's Law?<<
Posted By: Zed Re: reindeer - 12/16/07 02:02 AM
so is it a case where a moose is an elk but an elk is not necessarily a moose? I wasn't aware that moose ever lived in the eastern hemisphere.
I came around a corner in a Nova Scotia highway one evening and nearly ran into one, a very bad idea as they can total a car, kill the driver and limp away. The average car will knock there legs out from under them and get a ton of ticked-off moose straight through the windshield.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: reindeer - 12/16/07 04:03 AM
Originally Posted By: Zed
The average car will knock there legs out from under them and get a ton of ticked-off moose straight through the windshield.

exactly what happened to me. luckily he landed on the passenger side of the roof. which ended up at hood level.
Posted By: BranShea Re: reindeer - 12/16/07 02:17 PM
This one is taken in Sweden, the real thing.

moose
Or elk, what 's in a name.
I envy you both , I've never seen one on the wild highway ever in my life.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: reindeer - 12/16/07 03:10 PM
Originally Posted By: BranShea

I envy you both , I've never seen one on the wild highway ever in my life.

no you don't. I should be dead.
Posted By: BranShea Re: reindeer - 12/16/07 03:55 PM
I've had my near fatal accidents too, but without the moose .

Oh! but I'm awful glad you're still alive!
Posted By: Faldage Re: reindeer - 12/16/07 05:47 PM
The name "moose" is from a Native American (Abenaki) word so it would make sense that they are not so called in Europe.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: reindeer - 12/16/07 05:48 PM
Originally Posted By: BranShea
I've had my near fatal accidents too, but without the moose .

Oh! but I'm awful glad you're still alive!

me, too! thanks! ((hug))
Posted By: BranShea Re: reindeer - 12/16/07 07:19 PM
>>Native American (Abenaki)<<

There is elk as well as moose in their animal name list. But what does it matter. Can't we have just one Abenaki loanword in exchange for all the mish mash words that crossed the big water? I like moose. I think it is a moose animal, moose the magnificent.(of course it is up to the British )
© Wordsmith.org