Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wwh June Vocabula Review - 06/15/03 05:29 PM
Very fine article in June Vocabula Review, by Orin Hargraves about American English vs. other versions.
Startly to me, statement near end of article that says there are a 000hundred million English words.

"Likewise in the area of linguistic research, Britons can point with pride to the British National Corpus, a searchable database of a staggering 100 million words of British English."

Posted By: tsuwm Re: June Vocabula Review - 06/15/03 05:38 PM
I suppose that's really 100,000, American.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: June Vocabula Review - 06/15/03 06:25 PM
one would think that in a word article, they would clarify the million.

[gray]waiting for my coming million. or is that the next million?[/gray]

Posted By: wwh Re: June Vocabula Review - 06/15/03 07:05 PM
I goofed again. The article was long enough my peepers were pooped. It was talking about a database from which frequencies, etc. could be determined.
Not words in a dictionary.
I very much regret having gotten excited over nothing.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: June Vocabula Review - 06/15/03 07:57 PM
nothing like pooped peepers.

all things being what they are, however, the use of million in a multi-English setting should be clarified. billions of people could end up very confused...

Posted By: sjm Re: June Vocabula Review - 06/15/03 08:47 PM
The good-humoured efforts of our beloved USns to suggest that "million" doesn't mean the same thing in the English-speaking world that it does in the US reminded me of something. They reminded me that English already had a perfectly good word for what US hegemony has now ensured is known universally as a billion. Bring back the milliard!

Posted By: tsuwm Re: June Vocabula Review - 06/16/03 02:58 AM
>Bring back the milliard!

let's see: million, milliard, trillion, quadrillion, quintillion, sextillion...

yep, that makes lots of sense I guess, in the usual UK sense of making sense.

Posted By: Faldage Re: June Vocabula Review - 06/16/03 10:10 AM
Besides, a milliyard is a thousandth of a yard. Comes out to 0.036 inch.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: milliard - 06/17/03 02:00 AM
I thought it was where they stored all the lumber...

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: milliard - 06/17/03 12:25 PM
I thought it walked like a duck...

Posted By: Faldage Re: milliard - 06/17/03 12:50 PM
walked like a duck

That's Milliard Fillmore.

Posted By: of troy Re: milliyard - 06/17/03 01:44 PM
i thought it was the fore-court to a hat shop!

Posted By: dxb Re: milliyard - 06/17/03 02:23 PM
It could be a thronging place.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: milliyard - 06/17/03 05:55 PM
it's all so thoroughly modern....

Posted By: sjm Re: Milliard was here first - 06/17/03 08:29 PM
> English already had a perfectly good word for what US hegemony

I rest my case. Almost every one of those mocking this fine word, in the posts that followed its introduction to the thread, is a USn. Even tsuwm's post ignores the fact that English also had a billion, before American perverted its meaning and used it to erase the milliard. Nuff said.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Milliard was here first - 06/17/03 09:49 PM
Here, have a harrumph® on me, dear.

Posted By: sjm Re: Milliard was here first - 06/17/03 10:31 PM
>Here, have a harrumph® on me, dear.

No, no, not at all. Communicating by computer is all about pushing buttons, and my use of that delightful word hegemony certainly seems to have pushed just about everybody's. wyrd-sisters-e

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Milliard was here first - 06/17/03 10:32 PM
>Even tsuwm's post ignores the fact that English also had a billion, before American perverted its meaning and used it to erase the milliard. Nuff said.

yes, my post not only ignored that fact, but had the temerity to attempt to explain the logic of the perversion through [shudder] the use of irony.

Posted By: sjm Re: Milliard was here first - 06/17/03 10:38 PM
>yes, my post not only ignored that fact, but had the temerity to attempt to explain the logic of the perversion through [shudder] the use of irony.

Yes, I know. That's why your post was such a disappointment to me. Everybody else took the bait, you simply resorted to rational reasoning. Shame on you.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Billion - 06/18/03 12:28 AM
The word is of French origin. The USn usage corresponds to the French usage. I rest our case.

Posted By: sjm Re: Billion - 06/18/03 12:31 AM
I rest our case.

What case? You don't think I ever actually use the awful, pretentiously silly-sounding "milliard" do you?

Posted By: Faldage Re: Billion - 06/18/03 12:57 AM
No, you say thousand million. I thgought we were arguing about what a billion meant. BTW, do you have a thousand billion between billion and trillion? Is there a corresponding awful, pretentious silly sounding billiard?

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Billious - 06/18/03 01:06 AM
you mean I was manipulated to say clever and witty word plays?<giant asterisk, whatever that means>

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Billious - 06/18/03 01:08 AM
and I'm ignoring the obvious pool cues... for fear that it wouldn't really be me who says it, just some fabrication from someone else's mind coming out of mine through manipulation....

Posted By: sjm Re: Billion - 06/18/03 01:16 AM
>No, you say thousand million.

No, I don't - I say a billion. The US won that war long ago. As for a billiard, I'm not sure. I don't know how to break this to tou, but I think your question was poorly framed. Unlike etaoin, I can take a cue, and since I'm now totally cornered, will chalk this one up to experience.

Posted By: wwh Re: Billion - 06/18/03 01:50 AM
Do you think Bill Gates would be any more popular if he were only a millionaire (times sixty thousand, or whatever)?

Posted By: dxb Re: Billion - 06/18/03 11:26 AM
Who wants the bother of a country estate?

A country estate is something I'd hate!

© Wordsmith.org