Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
The passing of actor Carroll O'Connor yesterday, and the ensuing stories in the press, have, of course, stimulated much reflection on "All in the Family" and his greatest creation, Archie Bunker. Love him or hate him, and he was always controversial, Archie Bunker has become one of the most indelible and enduring characters in American culture. And, whether you liked the character or not, you'd have to agree it was a great, landmark TV show!...the writing, direction, acting, all superb!...and it was funny! So I thought it might be interesting to hear folks' reflections on O'Connor, Archie, "All in the Family," or even "In the Heat of the Night." -- including all the controversy, and the imprint he made on the American cultural scene. I loved "All in the Family," and viewed Archie as a sort of pathetic, lovable, idiot whose vituperations, though humor, helped launch topics into public discussion that might otherwise have been left in the closet of our denial. And "All in the Family" really raised the standards for the quality of production on TV programming, especially sitcoms...a level that few have attained since.

"Till Death Do Us Part" I also thought it might be interesting to hear from our friends across the pond about this BBC sitcom that was the model for "All in the Family"...comparisons; was it as huge a sensation in Britain as "All in the Family" was here; etc.??

B
veteran
veteran
B
I thought about this myself when I heard that O'Connor was dead. AITF was certainly a masterpiece and Jean Stapleton was a necessary foil for O'Connor. What mastery of comedy the two of them displayed! It was like Jack Benny paired with Gracie Allen, especially in view of their mastery of timing. How often did we see Archie glaring at Meathead for just the right interval until he erupted, then Edith would come in bleating in her inimitable style. Makes me laugh just thinking about it. As the newswriters are saying, we shall not see their like again. Something as good, just possible; something better, barely conceivably; but the same? No, never.

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
And I am still baffled that many people failed to understand that Archie Bunker's character was a satire on bigotry, not just a portrayal of it.

N
addict
addict
N
a satire on bigotry, not just a portrayal of it.

Funny you should mention it, Dr. Bill. I never really thought about it being anything other than satire until someone today on the radio mentioned that he thought at least 50% of viewers loved Archie Bunker precisely because they agreed with him - he spoke for them.

In any case, it was certainly one of the inspired pairings of character with actor.

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Archie's mangling of English was in part due to O'Connor's mastery of English ... I believe he had a degree in English!
I remember the show with a cameo appearance by Sammy DAvis Jr and the kiss on the cheek he gave Archie as a picture was snapped on Sam's departure. Topped when the photo came back to Archie signed by Davis with the inscription "To the whitest guy I know..."
And Archie's reaction to Edith's "change of life." Something along the line of " "Can't you just change and get it over with?" Hilarious.
Meathead and Gloria were wonderful characters for O'Connor to play off. Their liberalism was the perfect foil for Archie's eruptions.
And what would the show have been like without Edith ! Remember the episode where she foiled the rapist? And the times she stood up to Archie? And how he folded?
And that episode when Edith died in her sleep of a massive stroke and Archie sat on their bed an cried "Why did you leave me like that. I didn't get to tell you I love you one more time."
And I admired O'Connor's insistance, re In The Heat Of The Night, that the Chief's love interest be a woman his own age ! O'Connor also insisted on the character's being a black woman. A tough decision in those days for a show set in the Deep South. It broke open a lot of discussion both North and South.
I was a fan of O'Connor's from his movie days. He was a fine actor. On his personal side, O'Connor's son Hugh (who played a cop in ITHOTN) died as the result of drug use O'Connor made TV spots urging parents to "Get between your children and drugs however you can." A man of courage and commitment.

I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
<<..until someone today on the radio mentioned that he thought at least 50% of viewers loved Archie Bunker precisely because they agreed with him - he spoke for them.>>

Fooled 'em! Got 'em to watch and spoofed 'em right under their noses! The trick isn't getting the guy who agrees to listen, but the guy who doesn't.

N
addict
addict
N
The trick isn't getting the guy who agrees to listen, but the guy who doesn't.

Sooooo, who are we talking about here? The guys who agreed with Archie's expressed views, or the guys who agreed with the satire? Looks as if nobody doesn't agree .

I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
<<Looks as if nobody doesn't agree>>

Hadn't thought of that. Makes for a tight title, then, doesn't it: "All in the Family"?

#33318 06/24/01 04:24 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
...the quality of production on TV programming...

=

...launch topics into public discussion that might otherwise have been left in the closet of our denial...

Well said!

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,322
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 466 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith