#177809 06/27/08 12:08 PM
E
eye-nrs Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
E
6/27/2008
I'm new here, just joined, this is a great place I want to know how to pronounce ''pusillanimous''. and I want the definition of ''blooter'', used often on the O'Reilly factor news program (FOX). Great place this is.
Carol

old hand
old hand
Can't be bothered cutting and pasting IPA symbols right now, but I would pronounce it pyoo-sill-annie-muss (where the 'u' in 'muss' is a schwa). The emphasis is on the first and third/fourth syllables - PU-sill-ANI-mous. I am Australian, however, and perhaps Americans pronounce it differently.

I've never heard of a 'blooter' though.

Last edited by The Pook; 06/27/08 12:39 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
pusillanimous

As for "blooter," I'd suggest you google it. There are several meanings.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
while it's always possible to get answers to these sorts of questions here, I am constrained to point out that there are two relatively quick ways to accomplish this on your own online dime:
1) OneLook provides multiple resources for definitions, often with pronunciations; but even better are those sites (such as Merriam-Webster and American Heritage) which have links to audible files whence you can hear the word (in standard Am. Eng.)
2) for more obscure terms (although OneLook has a couple of entries for 'blooter'), you might try going straight to Google
note search string which narrows things nicely to your context.

[NB: please note that both of the previous underlined terms are "links" to the respective resources.]

if both of these fail, what you have is a *really* obscure term, and if you then ask here, likely as not your question will get answered (and odds are good your word will eventually get indexed by *both of the aforementioned resources).

Last edited by tsuwm; 06/27/08 01:44 PM. Reason: note for links
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
Welcome eye: I often have good luck Googling, eg,

blooter intitle:words intitle:origins

dalehileman
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Surely my post wasn't overlooked. Guess it was too succinct. Thanks for the expanded version, tsuwm, that was a much better reply.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
 Originally Posted By: AnnaStrophic
Surely my post wasn't overlooked. Guess it was too succinct. Thanks for the expanded version, tsuwm, that was a much better reply.

there's a twenty-five minute difference in our respective time-stamps; I suppose that's a good indication of how long I spent composing the damn thing, Shirley!

E
eye-nrs Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
E
To everyone who responded, I so deeply appreciate. One of you even sent me to a website that actually pronounced the word for me. Thank You so much. I'm a little old, and just learning about searches and computers. Oh my God, if I had it only had this when I was young...................

old hand
old hand
I think you'll find, eye-nrs, that many people on these boards are "a little old", and some "a lot old". I would be willing to bet that you have skills and knowledge that many of us lack. Technology isn't everything, but it sure is cool, isn't it? Welcome! :0)

veteran
veteran
"Oh my God, if I had it only had this when I was young"
For reasons I cannot explain, I am reminded of a former AWADian, Dr. Bill who was not a technological guru, but nevertheless was persistent and forward-thinking, and always eager to learn new things. (He might have considered it facetious, but most real hackers would have recognized a kindred spirit in him.)

The resources we have available to us now are staggering, but our grand-children will say the same thing - only sooner.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith