Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
How does one get from a "root" like "bhel" to the Latin "fulgere" (for example)? This sort of thing mystifies me no end.

E.g., for the word "refulgent" I see:

From Latin refulgere (to radiate light, to reflect), from re- (back) + fulgere (to shine). Ultimately from the Indo-European root bhel- (to shine or burn), which is also the source of blaze, blank, blond, bleach, blanket, and flame. Earliest documented use: before 1500.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The sounds of language change over the generations and they change over time in different ways in different languages. For an explanation of what happened in the Germanic languages see Grimm's Law. The change from the initial PIE bh in Latin was to f rather than the Germanic b. Compare Latin frater with English brother.

Faldage #202210 09/01/11 01:20 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Why are "roots" so unrelated to derived words?

Sometimes the changes between the root in a parent language (in your example, the reconstructed Proto-Indo-European) and the reflexes in different daughter languages is minimal and sometimes quite extensive (your example of PIE *bh- > L f-). For what it's worth, PIE *bh- stayed pretty much the same in Sanskrit, cf. bhrātṛ 'brother'. There are even some strangeer changes closer to our time in Romance languages (where we hav the parent language, Latin): e.g., in Ligurian dialects of Italian, initial ClV-, which in Standard Italian goes to a palatalized CjV-, becomes instead an affricate. L. plus ciu, VL *blancus 'white' > Lig. gianku; cf. Standard Italian piu and bianco.

The relationship between a PIE root and one of its daughter languages may seem arbitrary or tenuous, but after you studied historical phonology for a while, it starts to make sense. You can cannot predict how a language will develop out its parent,m but given enough time you can understand how a sound can change over a couple of thousand years from one that seems very different indeed.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Welcome Dakkumar

----please, draw me a sheep----
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Welcome, dak. Maybe this common (I say common because I know it) example will help. Go back a couple hundred years or so: God be with ye --> (maybe) Go' be wi' ye --> Good bye --> G'bye --> Bye .

I'm sure I skipped a couple of incarnations, but I hope that gave you an idea.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
You beat me to the punch there, Jackie, but I was going to
give the same example. Great minds......

----please, draw me a sheep----
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
smile

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 783 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith