Page 1 of 2 1 2
#173144 02/03/08 09:45 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Open letter to one of AAAA’s favorite correspondents

Owing to a PC glitch that inadvertently forwards email to an unintended destination I am privy to the following conversation between two devoted Bloggers, one of them, AAAA, a regular contributor to many sites such as this and the other, BBBB, an administrator of another board. Names of course obscured in the interest of protocol and to protect those involved

Admin: Its connection with WS is partly owes to its colorful language which I hope many will find stimulating or humorous but mainly it could give newcomers some insight into the varied protocol in boards such as this. However, if you deem it appropriate, feel perfectly free to move it to another forum more applicable. AAAA might hope it would be listed on Home Page though not one of the more obscure ones at the bottom. But if I am too far out of line do delete it entirely; although to the furtherance of the AAAA’s conceit I hope you could leave it up for a short time for the benefit of those interested in vivid expression. But please don’t ban me on account of it–as CC has done–because I really am a sterling fellow when you get to know me:

Oh, **** are used to distinguish AAAA’s comments from BBBB’s because Bill GZZZZ’ email algorithm destroys all semblance of typography, color, paragraphing, etc etc

Hi BBBB:

I admittedly get carried away and tend to persiflage with asides, digressions, and run-on sentences while I’m sure few of you are vitally interested in subjects such as this so feel free without reading further to Esc Del or click on the big X as I will understand and won’t feel hurt. If in your particular operating system it’s more difficult I apologize profusely because I understand about Bill ZZZZs’ algorithms where in some instances he makes your move as complicated as humanly possible

Much as God does, with Her hurricanes and floods. Gives you a challenge, keeps you on your toes [Comment by Dale: Contrary to your instructions, AAAA, She gave me Her permission to use Her name]

I’d like to take this opportunity to also pass along the latest news from Apple Valley but we are having 80-mph winds and the lights are flashing so I have to finish this post before a complete power failure–while this may account in some measure for the inordinate length of my posting as it’s just too miserable outside for yardwork and besides it’s Sunday when I observe the Sabbath, don’t do anything don’t have to [Comment by Dale: God says She approves]

Oh, attendant case in point: I have just been banned also from any correspondence with anyone at the Victorville, CA Daily Press in spite of our past association over a decade wherein they had accepted for publication over 100 of my Letters to the Editor and countless comments I had submitted about Home, Gardening, politics, journalism, etc etc etc . While owing to an apparent glitch in its operating system this had happened before and was in effect for 18 months before I realized why some of my buddies over there weren’t replying to my email, only a couple of the editorial addresses had been blocked. But this time I’m forbidden from talking to anyone there

I must be a really awful person–without however having directly insulted anybody as is the practice with the many boards in which I have happily participated but never in my wildest imagination expecting from newspaper editors who are usually so quick to accept offbeat input (Guys if you’ve read this far I’m only joking and still love you all dearly)

Incidentally when I got the ultimatum I accordingly and summarily deleted all vvdailynews addresses from my Contacts Folder. However, owing to a glitch in the Windows/Outlook programming, all of them nonetheless remained in my Select Names Window [Or Deity, was that Your doing?]. Therefore if anyone at the Daily News inadvertently receives this post, I apologize most profusely and rest assured that I will make every effort to expurgate that list correspondingly and so this is probably the very last time we will be able to chat. Things must be in a real turmoil over there and if any of it was inadvertently my doing I again repent with the utmost contrition because I simply didn’t realize in other operating systems how difficult and tedious it is to swiftly delete an unwanted email and therefore I understand how complete banning is far preferable in such instances...

...although I hope you will soon recover from whatever is going on over there at the Press as twice this week my copy wasn't delivered whereupon I called both the Subscription Service, then the Delivery Facility without any luck but finally succeeded after emailing everyone over there; whereupon it was finally delivered at 2 pm. Just occurs to me, could it be that message the reason I was banned

...though we’ll see if I can persuade my No. 1 Son, a highly paid and competent IT, to correct the difficulty with Bill’s algorithm if not the Press’ cranky server-–Best regards and better weather to allaya–including all my cherished correspondents at the Press with whom I yet hope to correspond one day when it all blows over–AAAA@

Oh incidentally preventive is to preventative as important is to importantly
Incidentally do you know how long I'll be in the doghouse
Thanks and happy and prosperous New Year tho with the state of the economy, at least happy–AAAA

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, February 02, 2008 4:17 PM
To: AAAA
Subject: Re: Importantly preventative

Hello,

********Hi XXXX [That’s BBBB’s pseudonym]

I don't think that's true about preventative and preventive. They are both adjectives, while important is an adjective and importantly is an adjective.

***********I knew that

********Actually, as a former prescriptivist, that very thought did occur to me and I wondered if anybody else would pick up on it. I’m always impressed by the breadth of perspicacity encountered amongst my favorite correspondents on these excellent boards and often wonder how I can suppress my persiflage, having made several NY’s resolutions to that effect in past years but alas, with no success

******My point was, or course, that people nowadays tend to embellish many such common words out of a subconscious desire to seem erudite. Thus they add the -ly even when it isn’t needed

AAAA, we have banned you indefinitely, but contact one of us in about a month, if you'd like to join us again.

*****Thank you I shall. At least you’re more liberal than the ones banning me forever, or even CW, who banned me for three months. Well, their loss not mine. The only one left from which I haven’t been ejected, is CS; which is surprising since it boasts some of the most uptight control freaks you can possibly imagine. No offense zC, just kidding, appreciate your relative tolerance and still keen on CS

It's just that we need to keep our site civil, and when you bring up politics and religion, that's not easy.

*******I understand as it’s high PI to tread on such controversial turf even when remotely connected to words, names, etc.

What surprised me was that you had posted that long political post, and z warned you not to do it again. Then the very next day you did the
same thing.

****I know, I’m just an awful person and I wish I could change. I might defend the post about candidacy because it concerned words and their subconscious effect on the voter and apparently that’s why it was accepted by CW and CS with nary a peep or comment to the same effect; but I fully support your position and the depth of your protocol because I realize that each such post must entail trying decisions

I think you were testing the waters to see how much you could get away with.

****Perhaps that was my subconscious motive. After several psychology courses and years in therapy myself [Dale comment: Surely AAAA needed it] I’m absolutely amazed after a couple of decades on the Net how few typical Americans even realize there’s such a thing, or that it’s responsible for all the irrational activity of us humans that can’t be explained in any other way

That's not fair at all to us. We run a small board, and we struggle to keep it active.

***Yes I understand and fully support your duty to make such determinations, if they’re not too much influenced by your fellow Admin’s hostile attitude. However if it were me, I would have left the post in place for a few days for the benefit of them interested in that sort of thing. But if your algorithm makes deletion difficult or irksome I can understand that a more telling punishment was appropriate while I feel duly chastened and so if I come back I will certainly attempt to tow the proverbial line, strictly observe all protocol as long and as far as I can remember it

******Did you pick up on that? Actually it should have been “toe”. This might be an interesting subject for a thread as Googling the phrase shows that it’s used wrongly 33 per cent of the time. I only wish I were able to do so. Not Google but contribute the thread. Meantime maybe I’ll post it on CW or CS

CS is different. They have tons of people, and while maybe Hcccc doesn't like you over there,

*******Poor girl, alas alack, seems like she doesn’t much like anyone. Offered counseling but wasn’t amenable

....there are other types who can just ignore you.

*******The most prudent course in order to preserve one’s equanimity. Join me in my quest revealing to all and sundry the location of the Black X

CC is much different because of our low numbers. We are a tight community, and they surely aren't.

*********Speaking of tight, last time they visited I spent with my No. 1 and No. 2 Sons LFF SFF and SFF LFF respectively 6 hours in the sauna downing dozens of new and exotic brews from around the world. Reason I mention it and Fwd this post to them is that they were liberal-arts students and understand about the subliminal. It’s hard to find anyone else among even my sophisticated correspondents with whom I can discuss such matters, most everyone branding it as pure persiflage or nonsense

Thanks for understanding. You had already given up on us before, so I can't believe you mind that much.

****Oh I don’t and as I mentioned I fully support and endorse your position. But last time I hadn’t given up on you at all. It’s just that as I explained at the time I was participating in too many such boards and was beginning to feel like a screen sucker. I temporarily quit CC quite arbitrarily, on the basis that its algorithm didn’t support the Google spellcheck

****Meantime though I was banned from a couple of the others whereupon I summarily returned to CC. Minor point, but incidentally before you let me return I hope if you perform any housekeeping you will correct this glitch; as my substandard typing skills often result in much misspelling that is sometimes hard to catch even upon proofreading

We've deleted those 2 threads so that you won't be embarrassed.

*****Oh I’m not, trust me. I have adopted my attitudes as a means to preclude unnecessary stress, contributing to a longevity that I hope will let me see my grandkids Sam and Grant matriculate, resp. at ages 98 and 99 (That is, me not them)

I am wondering if you could please remove me from your email list. Thanks so much!

****Happy to do so and I fully understand because of the immense difficulty in algorithms other than Word/Outlook of deleting an incoming email though I shall miss you sorely as a correspondent. Best for the New Year, keep up the Good Works on CC, and hope to be contacting you again in the not-too-distant future–Dale

@Remarkably the power did fail before I was done–five times so far–and my Internet connection as many times–but I’m happy to report the post got saved nonetheless. What puzzles me, however–and No. 1 Son maybe you can tell me–is how Bill knew the power was going to fail and was able to rescue also the unsaved editing(!!!). So my apologies to Bill for some of the above remarks and my untold thanks to Son 1 for having provided me with battery backup

Again most incidentally however, I note that Bill Gates has finally corrected the glitch that required several minutes and 28 keystrokes to backup an email to the remote drive...and to think it took him only 17 years to recognize the problem!!!

Or 10 years and 7 more deciding how to deal with it

Oh Bill if you’re reading this like a Neocon eavesdropping for terrorist plots: There’s another serious glitch I wish you’d correct. Sometimes when you attempt to highlight a word, you paint the entire paragraph instead. This one is a little more difficult, requiring something like 10 minutes and 134 keystrokes to correct

Incidentally you might be aware of the one which deletes all the spellcheck flags in a long Word file and which requires 18 keystrokes to fix. If Bill you are at all interested in a macro I have devised for the purpose, please contact me, AAAA@verizon.net

XXXX (BBBB)

On 2/1/08, <AAAA> wrote:

dalehileman
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
lol wut?

formerly known as etaoin...
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
eta good morning: It that's Lots of Love or Laughing Out Loud thank you as I need a little support from time to time but if Lots of Luck, that too was my hope; though I trust it isn't Little Old Lady

As far as I can find WUT is an acronym for Wild and Untamed Things which doesn't describe me at 78 rpm but I'm flattered

Again thank you eta as a sense of humor is becoming increasingly rare in such unremittingly hostile venues as we find on today's Internet boards

dalehileman
Having been involved in a similar issue on forums for an unrelated topic, I can only sigh heavily and wish you luck.

tempus edax rerum
Maven #173168 02/04/08 05:59 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Mav: Well thank you also

Not by the wildest stretch of imagination did I expect a jot of support

But I guess it's not over so let us gird our loins for the inevitable....

dalehileman
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>But I guess it's not over so let us gird our loins for the inevitable...

yeah, how disappointing this must be for you.

-ron o.

tsuwm #173170 02/04/08 06:12 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
tsu; Heavens yes in my perplexity with perhaps subconscious expectations of the very worst....

.......but hang in there, as it probably isn't over yet....

..while thank you again for all your past and future support

dalehileman
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
wut = lolcat for what

lol wut? = wtf? with a light and airy tone.

D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
eta well, thank you for that as it isn't everyday that I learn a new acronym

dalehileman
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: dalehileman
eta well, thank you for that as it isn't everyday that I learn a new acronym

as long as someone doesn't tell you to "diaf", you're probably ok.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,318
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 775 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith