OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel

#152919 12/31/05 07:38 AM
T
veteran
veteran
T
Quote:

-- "In terms of timetables, as quickly as possible - whatever that means," the president said. Interesting Article

How refreshing.
As a word person and a judge you must admire such a guileless answer, huh, Father Steve?

#152920 12/31/05 04:54 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
As a judge, everything I say in open court is recorded and subject to transcription, should the need arise. This is a dreaful thing. Because I say a great many things ("for the record") every day, not all of them are as perfectly phrased as a published opinion by Learned Hand or Oliver Wendell Holmes. It would horrify me if the local press spent time, every day, sifting through the record in my court to locate every verbal flub I make. And it would doubtless shame me, were all of these to be published in the local paper or on local television, for the amusement of readers and viewers. On the other hand, people in "public life" -- whatever that is -- are deemed "fair game" these days and I'd have to take my licks, just like the President of the United States.

#152921 12/31/05 06:10 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Do you still make flubs? I mean, considering your position, age (which I assume is, er, "veteran"), and your particularly keen interest in English, plus the fact you're a licensed member of the "Word Police" (or something akin? ), can you really?
After so many years of practicing, perfecting, and living English, I would imagine it's impossible to flub grammatically!

#152922 12/31/05 06:50 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I'm at home -- there is no court on Saturday -- but I have the transcript of a hearing in which I created such a verbal jumble that I am reluctant to share it with you ... were it not that it well illustrates my previous point.

JUDGE: Now, as regards this court's requirement that you not operate a motor vehicle wihout an approved and functioning ignition interlock device, I want to be clear that my order is co-extensive with that of the Department of Licensing, which can and likely will or has ordered the same thing under its administrative powers, such that, if they order it, I order it, whereas, if they do not, I don't, and, for as long as the department requires it, I require it. Is that clear? No? I didn't think so.

#152923 12/31/05 07:03 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

I'm at home -- there is no court on Saturday -- but I have the transcript of a hearing in which I created such a verbal jumble that I am reluctant to share it with you ... were it not that it well illustrates my previous point.

JUDGE: Now, as regards this court's requirement that you not operate a motor vehicle wihout an approved and functioning ignition interlock device, I want to be clear that my order is co-extensive with that of the Department of Licensing, which can and likely will or has ordered the same thing under its administrative powers, such that, if they order it, I order it, whereas, if they do not, I don't, and, for as long as the department requires it, I require it. Is that clear? No? I didn't think so.

Sorry, padre, but that was very easy to follow. Measured against this mishmash, at any rate. (note the cunning avoidance of the compare to/with palaver, it being way too early in the year for me to sort that one out)

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 583 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith