Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#133734 10/07/04 08:45 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
This is pretty sad. And a library, no less.

http://tinyurl.com/55ajl

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The mistakes wouldn't even register with a true artisan, Alquilar said.

"The people that are into humanities, and are into Blake's concept of enlightenment, they are not looking at the words," she said. "In their mind the words register correctly."

Is she kidding?! I am willing to consider that she was being serious, not being an artisan true or false, but. Was she aware that this mural was done for a library? Where people come to learn things??

I think I'd better go away for a while now; I've used italics in the last 3 things I've written; don't want to get myself all het up over stuff. But ooh, I am so tempted to write her an outraged letter!! Or at least Yahoo. Or somebody. What a maroon.

#133736 10/08/04 01:41 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
"Our library director is very frustrated that she has this lovely new library and it has all these misspellings in front," said city councilwoman Lorraine Dietrich, one of three council members who voted Monday to authorize paying another $6,000, plus expenses, to fly the artist up from Miami to fix the errors.

Why pay her more to do what should have been done correctly the first time?

"The importance of this work is that it is supposed to unite people,"
"Dummies Unite!"
Alquilar said. "They are denigrating my work and the purpose of this work."
No – only the incorrect spelling that it contained. PAY ATTENTION!

There were plenty of people around during the installation who (sic) could and should have seen the missing and misplaced letters, she said.
“Knot my fault!”

"Even though I was on my hands and knees laying the installation out, I didn't see it," she said.
Perhaps she should have been working instead.

"The mistakes wouldn't even register with a true artisan, Alquilar said.
"Woidsmiths are knot 'true artyzins', so chill out will ya?"

"The people that are into humanities, and are into Blake's concept of enlightenment, they are not looking at the words," she said. "In their mind the words register correctly."
“Yeah, u no wat I mean u people, dont fus over thos peskee woids, their knot reel ott anyway.”

(sigh)...OK, I feel a bit better now, O'bow

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well, usually I say to him, "Al, take a break and have a nice cuppa tea."

TEd
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
ya know, it's one thing to misspell some gnarly ol' words; but these were people's names.

#133739 10/08/04 02:44 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I agree on that. And while you may not have noticed it, I subscribe to a personal code of ethics which requires that I not use the name of an individual as a pun. That's hitting too close to home in my book. I've probably made an exception or two, but not very many, and certainly not with friends' names.

But it's almost impossible for me to ignore a good straight line.

Speaking of which, you saw I'm sure, that Rodney Dangerfield passed away this week. I and thousands of his fans are going to the West Coast to pay our first respects.

TEd

TEd
J
veteran
veteran
J
It seems to me that the artist and the library are both culpable. One for being illiterate and the other for being inattentive when accepting delivery.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'm with jheem, and TEd, couldn't you just say, "abracadabra"?...

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Nah. I don't believe in that hocus-pocus.

TEd
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
What this artist lacks, I think, is the ability to see things through other people's eyes, not that she cares--apparently. The misspellings pull people away from her work and to that critical area of editing--and I don't think that's what she wants her work to do. Who wants a work of art to be edited mentally by viewers rather than received by them for whatever intellectual, emotional, transformational impact the artist had hoped for in conceiving the idea in the first place? If I were of visual artistic bent of disposition (and ability), I surely would not want a group of editors sitting around noticing the spelling of a word rather than the work, forcing them into seeing trees, as it were, before the conceptual forest.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith