Print Thread
#2984 05/29/00 12:36 AM
M
mzemke Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
I'm a new user to this site. I am hoping that this is the correct place to ask ?'s. What does "watershed" mean and the origination? Thanks. Marika

#2985 05/29/00 06:19 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
I seem to remember from my hazy school geography that it is originally a geographical term. I think we'll find lots of present day meanings.

#2986 05/29/00 11:27 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Marika,
Here is what GuruNet has to say. I believe I posted about
GuruNet in Announcements. Also, this Board does have a
Q&A about Words section. Not to worry--it takes a while to
find your way around, esp. for someone living three
different roles!

watershed

Dictionary Encyclopedia Thesaurus Science Translation Internet Keywords Web Search Books What's New! wa·ter·shed (wô'tər-shĕd', wŏt'ər-)
n.
A ridge of high land dividing two areas that are drained by different river systems.
Also called: water parting
The region draining into a river, river system, or other body of water.
A critical point that marks a division or a change of course; a turning point: “a watershed in modern American history, a time that . . . forever changed American social attitudes” (Robert Reinhold).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Third Edition Copyright © 1992, 1996 by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
watershed, elevation or divide separating the catchment area, or drainage basin, of one river system from another. The Rocky Mts. and the Andes form a watershed between westward-flowing and eastward-flowing streams. The term is also often synonymous with drainage basin.

#2987 05/29/00 12:32 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
This is the usual definition but the second part of the definition leads it to be used in many ways.

In the UK in the media world the "watershed" is used to mean - 9pm. I imagine other countries have a similar set of rules but I'm not sure if the term "watershed" is used.

All television programmes before 9pm have to be acceptable for a family audience, after 9pm (increasingly since Channel 5 came along) almost anything goes.

Which leads me to an aside (it is Miscellany after all)- I was wondering at what time "Friends" is shown in the USA? Here it is at 9pm but it is sometimes repeated at 6pm.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 674 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith