Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#71239 05/25/02 05:23 PM
of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Recently, Jackie mentioned how she love the word waygoose. So i offer up henway?
Anyone know what's a henway?

and if you cross a horse with donkey you get a mule, but how to you get appaloosa?

what's a henway? about 3 or 4 pounds.(hen weigh)

and how do you get appaloosa? shake-a the limb-a (vague italian accent)

Got any more?

#71240 05/25/02 06:26 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
From Word-Detective:
Since I have the NSOED open, I might as well quote its definition of "deadpan," which is
"expressionless, impassive, unemotional; detached, impersonal." Although "deadpan" can be
used to mean simply "unemotional," it's most often heard in the context of humor or joke-telling,
where a "deadpan" mock-serious delivery often amplifies the effect of a good joke. Say, for
instance, that I happen upon my brother-in-law tinkering with the engine of his lawnmower. I
stand back with a deadpan air of confidence and announce, "What you need is a henway."
Puzzled, he asks "What's a henway?" I say "About five pounds," and he throws a wrench at me.
All right, so Noel Coward I'm not.

#71241 05/25/02 06:34 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Is the face (or has the face) ever been referred to as a pan?

I ask this because now the idea of a dead pan is going to baffle me for the rest of the day.

#71242 05/25/02 06:46 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Word Detective: Can you tell me the origin of the word "deadpan"? I can't find it even in
the Shorter Oxford Dictionary. My guess is that it has its origins in the theatre and may even
have something to do with pancake makeup, but that's a wild guess. -- Dinah, via the internet.

It's not a bad guess, but I think the first thing you should do is buy a new dictionary. I have a
copy of the New Shorter Oxford English Dictionary (NSOED), published in 1993, which
supplies a perfectly adequate definition and even a brief etymology.

Since I have the NSOED open, I might as well quote its definition of "deadpan," which is
"expressionless, impassive, unemotional; detached, impersonal." Although "deadpan" can be
used to mean simply "unemotional," it's most often heard in the context of humor or joke-telling,
where a "deadpan" mock-serious delivery often amplifies the effect of a good joke. Say, for
instance, that I happen upon my brother-in-law tinkering with the engine of his lawnmower. I
stand back with a deadpan air of confidence and announce, "What you need is a henway."
Puzzled, he asks "What's a henway?" I say "About five pounds," and he throws a wrench at me.
All right, so Noel Coward I'm not.

"Deadpan" does indeed have a theatrical origin, first appearing in the New York Times in 1928
(in an article citing actor Buster Keaton as the quintessential "dead-pan" comic) and was
frequently used in the show-business daily Variety around that time. The key to "deadpan" is the
use of "pan" as theatrical slang for "the face" (reflecting the use of "pan" to mean "skull," found
as early as 1330). So "deadpan" is simply another way of saying "expressionless face."

"Pancake," meaning a kind of thick makeup often used in the theater, first appeared in 1937 as a
trademark of Max Factor & Co., and may well be a bit of a pun, referring both to the thickness
of the product (which was, incidentally, originally marketed in a broad, "pancake-shaped"
container) and to the fact that it forms a sort of "cake" on the actor's "pan."

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,315
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 247 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,532
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith