Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Candy Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah

A) A heavy wooden container for pounding boiled cassava (maniok) to make fufu, a staple food in Congo. Perp: BranShea---- Voted for by: zmjezhd and olly

B) Wagiman (also spelled Wageman, Wakiman, Wogiman) An endangered language, about to be lost, as the younger generation of the Wagiman people do not speak or even understand it. Perp: found in http://www.onelook.com/
but also its own dictionary of * Wagiman Language and of course reference in Wikipedia.

C) Anglicized version of an Australian aboriginal expression for "one who goes walkabout." Perp: AnnaStophic ---- Voted for by: Owlbow and Faldage

D) n. The person designated as cook on a group outing to a remote location. Perp: Jackie ---- Voted for by: BranShea and AnnaStrophic

E) Wagiman: A child who is consistently truant from school. Perp: olly

F) WAGIMAN (n.) VAHG-ee-mahn
A multi-colored glass flask, often decorated with amber, usually for carrying vodka. A shortened form of Wagimaniewka – a flask from the Wagi region of Poland. Perp: Coffeebean---- Voted for by: Jackie and LukeJavan8

G) Wagiman - the largest of a subspecies of manatee found only in the waters of Indonesia, west of New Guinea. Perp: LukeJavan8 ---- Voted for by: wofahulicodoc

H) The supreme being of the Huli tribe of Papua New Guinea. Perp: Faldage

I) Noun. A self-righteous person who's condescending attitudes towards others are based on the influence of "mob rule" rather than independent thought and free choice. Refers to the "wagging" of the finger in an accusatory fashion. Perp: Rod F.

J) Wagiman: a fertility fetish of the Tunica tribe in Mississippi. Perp: zmjezhd ---- Voted for by: Coffeebean

K) ...a rudimentary Northern European pedestrian or hikers' shelter. Perp: wofahulicodoc ---- Voted for by: twosleepy and Buffalo Shrdlu

L) WAGIMAN, n. A wandering traveler, a vagrant, a vagabond. Perp: twosleepy ---- Voted for by: Avy

*Wagiman dictionary.

http://www1.aiatsis.gov.au/exhibitions/e_access/digital/a339234/home.html

Wagiman is an Australian Aboriginal language spoken in Australia's Northern Territory. On this web site you will find an online dictionary of Wagiman, as well as some general information about the language and its speakers, three texts, and some links and references to more material on Wagiman and other Australian Aboriginal languages

Foreign Language Online
http://www.yourdictionary.com/languages.html

Abstract: Wagiman is an Australian Aboriginal language spoken in the Top End of the Northern Territory. It possesses an unusual open class of words which are here termed “coverbs”. Most frequently, coverbs are paired with an inflecting verb from a closed class to form a complex predicate: the coverb and inflecting verb jointly determine the verbal semantics and argument structure of the clause. This book provides a descriptive and analytical account of the behaviour of coverbs in Wagiman, especially their role in complex predicate formation. The aim is to discover what principles are at work in directing and constraining this process, and how the meaning of the whole is derived from the meanings of the parts. After discussing a wide range of relevant data from the language, a formal analysis is outlined within Lexical Functional Grammar. It is argued that to account for the intricacy of Wagiman complex predicates, it is necessary for the grammar to make explicit reference to representations of lexical meaning, and it is proposed that complex predicate formation can be seen as the fusion of these semantic representations.

This book is available from Amazon.com.

Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wagiman_language

Wagiman (also spelled Wageman, Wakiman, Wogeman) is a near-extinct indigenous Australian language spoken by fewer than 10 people[1] in and aroundPine Creek, in the Katherine Region of the Northern Territory.
The Wagiman language is notable within linguistics for its complex system of verbal morphology, which remains under-investigated, its possession of a cross-linguistically rare part of speech called a coverb, its complex predicates and for its ability to productively verbalise coverbs.
Wagiman is expected to become extinct within the first half of the century, as the youngest generation of Wagiman people speak no Wagiman at all, and understand very little

Ethnologue...Languages of the World
http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=waq

Endangered languages

473 of the languages listed in the Ethnologue are classified as nearly extinct. They are classified in this way when "only a few elderly speakers are still living."

ethnologue 16th edition (languages of the world)

M. Paul Lewis

Looks like a couple of you were swayed by the Australian connection but guessed wrong with 'C'.
No-one picked the real meaning, it went under raider, which is what I was aiming for.
Some very persuasive definitions were suggested, an even field I think.

Congratulations to all the players, on some well thought out daffynitions. I hope yo'all enjoyed this round. And thanks to the random voters too.

old hand
old hand
Thanks, Candy! Great word that stumped everyone, but good faux meanings proffered. Looks like a big tie! :0)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Really very well done, Candy, thanks for the
word and the fun. It is surely a highlight of
this site.

----please, draw me a sheep----
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: Candy

No-one picked the real meaning, it went under raider, which is what I was aiming for.

Is this an eggcorn?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Applause! I did hesitate over this, but this: (also spelled Wageman, Wakiman, Wogiman) made me think "no, this is too obviously a joke". And then it wasn't. Very nice! It's been a while since the real def. wasn't found out. Thanks!

enthusiast
enthusiast
Great game, this.
Thanks all, esp. Candy.

Peace, Owly

Candy Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
Thanks guys......I'm beaming now.

I really like the cover picture on the book, Ethnologue, Languages of the World.

Only thing I didn't like, about being Hogmaster, was not being able to join in the discussion, I'm looking forward to producing something in the next round.

Make it soon, someone please.......

'eggcorn'........could be, LOL

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: Candy

'eggcorn'........could be, LOL

Well, let's look into it. What does "under raider" mean?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
What does "under raider" mean?

I thought it was an eggcorn for "under the radar".

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
old hand
old hand
It Deep ends on your point of you.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 939 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith