Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#49285 12/03/01 11:48 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
This thread is DOA, but I had to post this from Mrs. Byrne for all you word hounds. Use it with care, if you dare:

cornobbled adj. -- hit with a fish

Now many questions come to mind: If cornobbled means to be hit with a fish, then I suppose you can cornobble someone, perhaps someone with a fish wife's mouth...or mebbe the fish wife herself goes around cornobbling people.

Or does this mean you're cornobbled by fish with aggressive attitudes?

And, finally, is there any other word in the English language that means to be hit by any other animal other than the fish? Well, there's gored, for sure. And butted. And pecked. But they're not exactly the same in that the whole of the fish is hitting you whereas with gored, butted, and pecked, it's just a part of the beast that's causing your pain.

Best regards,
WordCornobbled

Edit: Just in case an innocent bystander should happen upon this thread, the above definition of cornobbled is incorrect. The whole mix-up resulted from a definition's having been incorrectly entered on the Byrne site. tsuwm caught the error. Hip! Hip!

#49286 12/04/01 12:00 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
On a scale of one to ten, this one rates about a seven. But you can indeed write fin-is to it. I did think it was a great word. Nothing in OED.

TEd
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
When I was on troopship in South Pacific, flying fish frequently landed on the deck near the bow, which meant they had to be more than fifteen feet above sea level. This was not much wind, although the waves might have been three or four feet high. They were only about the size of my thumb, and I was wearing a helmet liner, so I did not worry about impact. I have heard they are good to eat, but the only way I could have cooked them would have been by using my glasses as a magnifying glass. No thanks.

D
addict
addict
D
Is anyone else thinking of Monty Python?

http://chixlinx.homestead.com/MontyPythonFiles.html (Then click on the Fish Slapping Dance)

or directly...

http://www.homestead.com/_ksi0701961501300028/chixlinx/files/MPFC_FishSlappingDance.avi

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
wordsind,
now that MP has been dutifully summoned to do their little dance, I must disencumber you of this misapprehension.

cornobbled - [adj] hit with a fist

Mrs. Byrne's Dictionary of Unusual, Obscure, and Preposterous Words - First Carol Publishing Group edition, 1994

p.s. - google turns up one hit on cornobble, which has perpetrated the same misreading and added some fowl play:
fowlobble - to hit with a rubber chicken.

W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
tsuwm: So the Byrne site is incorrect? Or did she spell her definition incorrectly--or perhaps cite a reference that was also incorrect? I don't have her dictionary--just the site.

Love "fowlobble," by the way.

And then there's cowobbled: Hit by projectile bovines attempting lunar leaps.

Fist regards,
DoubleD.

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Actually my first thought was Asterix.

Bingley

Bingley
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>So the Byrne site is incorrect? Or did she spell her definition incorrectly--or perhaps cite a
reference that was also incorrect? I don't have her dictionary--just the site.

who knows? I don't find the word in any of my other references. her dictionary has 'fist'. one google hit on cornobbled has fist (in a game of balderdash™, the baldmaster prolly has her dictionary) and one hit on cornobble as a verb has fish (prolly ref'd the site). unless someone finds the original ref. I guess we'll never know.

M
old hand
old hand
M
Hmmm...I can think of only three people in this world who should be cornobbled.

(1) The person who invented the word.
(2) Mrs. Byrne.
(3) The person who...uh?...wait a minute...it was just on the tip of my tongue...

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
cowobbled: Hit by projectile bovines attempting lunar leaps.
Please! You bring to mind a bit of juvelaia form my pre-teen years:
Birdie, birdie in the sky,
Please don't drop it in my eye.
I'll be good, and I won't cry.
(Gee! I'm glad that cows don't fly!)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith