Print Thread
#22314 03/11/01 08:49 AM
P
paulb Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
P
"Pommy is supposed to be short for pomegranate. Pomegrante [sic], pronounced invariably pommygranate, is a near enough rhyme to immigrant, in a naturally rhyming country. Furthermore, immigrants are known in their first months, before their blood "thins down," by their round and ruddy cheeks. So we are told! Hence again, pomegranate, and hence Pommy. Let etymologists be appeased: it is the authorised derivation."

D H Lawrence: Kangaroo [complete with typo!]

#22315 03/11/01 12:03 PM
Hey Paul - thanks for that - if you will check the thread about NAMES, you will see that my family name, Pomeranz, is possibly derived from pomegranate... it's interesting since, as a teenager, friends called my older brother 'Pom Pom' (and a good friend of mine decided to call me 'Lily Pom' - since my first name in French is translated 'lily').

Anyway - the pomegranate, one of the Seven Species of Eretz Yisrael, should you wish to know, is reputed to contain 613 seeds, the number of 'mitzvot' (or laws) in the Torah (the original 10 plus all the ones where the Torah says and G-d spoke to Moses and said, 'Go and tell my people...') - so, at Succot, when we use the pomegranate for decoration in the Succa and eat them (as they are then in season), we remember the Torah, the 613 mitzvot and, thus, our relationship with G-d.

As well, the pomegranate in a Jewish home has the same meaning as the pineapple has come to mean (at least in the USA) - and that is, as a sign of welcome!

Shoshannah

For more on the pomegranate and the Seven Species of Israel, go to: http://www.gezernet.co.il/tgs/florafauna/7species.html - a page I made as part of a project on the Flora of Israel for my tour guide class.

suzanne pomeranz, tourism consultant jerusalem, israel - suztours@gmail.com
#22316 03/11/01 05:22 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Lawrence was obsessed by bodies, wasn't he?

I was taught that POM meant "Prisoner of Mother England" in relation particularly to punishment by transportation to the Strine. Port Arthur is an interesting place NOW, but imagine how interesting it would have been 130-odd years ago ...

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#22317 03/11/01 05:31 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
the OED speaketh: The most widely held derivation of this term, for which, however, there is no firm evidence, is that which connects it with pomegranate (see quots. 1923, 1963). A discussion of this and of other theories may be found in W. S. Ramson "Australian English". (the 1923 quot. is Lawrence's)

anyone have access to the Ramson?

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 721 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith