Print Thread
#210262 04/05/13 08:45 AM
F
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
F
Hello

I am literature student, reading women's travel writing. I am looking for a verified meaning of the word odeporic, please.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Good luck.

J
veteran
veteran
J
Hi Fatima, and yes, good luck in all you do.
And it might help us define "odeporic" if you explain the context of the word's usage.

And check the spelling too. smile

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
'odeporic' doesn't seem to occur all that often in English; but, poros is Greek for path and an ode is a lyric poem or song..

for what that's worth.

having glossed that, the usual context seems to be odeporic literature, which I gather to be travel journals and narratives - which brings us full circle.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It also seems to be an Italian word, but it's not in my Harrap's Pocket Italian.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The Italian adjective odeporica shows up in a lot of travel contexts. But it is not listed in my Harper Collins Italian dictionary.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It would probably be under odeporico but I can't imagine your not finding it by looking for odeporica.

F
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
F
I looked up the Italian word odeporica (thank you Faldage) and this is the best translation of the word that I can come up with. The word "odeporic" is used in the book The Politics of Representation in Ahdaf Soueif's The Map of Love. The sentence states that "English odeporic literature in the nineteenth century was an important vehicle for colonial ideology and is characterised, above all, by the ..." The author of the book is Sabina D'Alessandro, an Italian academic.

Wiki: "The narrative of travel, or literature odeporica (from the greek ὁδοιπορικός [1] ), is a literary genre that deals with the journey , motivations and processes of the travel. Generally refers to the act of moving from one place to another making a certain path. Rarely refers to a shift imaginary or dream or a route fantastic as that of ' hallucination due to the effect of the drug."

Wiki: "La narrativa di viaggio , o letteratura odeporica (dal greco ὁδοιπορικός [1] ), è un genere letterario che si occupa del viaggio , delle motivazioni e dei processi del viaggiare. Generalmente si riferisce all'atto di spostarsi da un luogo all'altro compiendo un certo percorso. Raramente si riferisce a uno spostamento immaginario o onirico oa un itinerario fantastico come quello dell' allucinazione dovuta all'effetto degli stupefacenti."

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 285 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith