Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#76460 07/19/02 12:48 PM
of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I have just started to read Salt A World History, by Mark Kurlansky-- we have discussed some it before, not to long ago, and i have provided a link to information about the book on line.. http://www.saltbook.com/book.php

Kurlanshy claims in the the intro, that the Latin word salex, is from salt.. and meant "salty" --"salt eyed" and from this we get salacious.. but when i checked Bartleby, it said something different.. here is the link, and most of info copied.

Kurlansky claims the romans used salted eyed the way we use (or used to use, since i haven't heard the term used in years!)"sheep eyed" to mean well, what salacious means! there is a good deal of evidence that salt is associated with sexual prowess, and success.. and general over all good health and stamina.

I didn't go and check on his sourses, for the salt/salex/sel/salacious connetion.. but i thought i might bring it up here...

when salt came up before, we didn not fully explore the word or all the idioms that refer or use salt.

http://www.bartleby.com/61/58/S0035800.html
salacious
ADJECTIVE: 1. Appealing to or stimulating sexual desire; lascivious.
2. Lustful; bawdy.
ETYMOLOGY: From Latin sal*x, sal*c-, fond of leaping, lustful,
from salre, to leap.
See sel- in Appendix I

sel-
DEFINITION: To jump. 1. Suffixed zero-grade form *sal-yo-. a. salacious,
salient, sally, sauté; assail, assault, desultory,
dissilient, exult, insult, resile, result, somersault, from
Latin sal*re, to leap;
b. halter2, from Greek hallesthai, to leap, jump.
2. Probably Latin salm* (borrowed from Gaulish),salmon(< “the leaping fish”):
salmon. (Pokorny 4. sel- 899.)

#76461 07/19/02 02:54 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Bingo! Of troy, I just happened to send Dr. Bill this intriguing link I found during a quiet weekend recently...a whole site dedicated to the etymology/history of salt! It's fascinating!

http://www.salt.org.il/etymol.html

#76462 07/19/02 03:02 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Kurlansky claims the romans used salted eyed the way we use (or used to use, since i haven't heard the term used in years!)"sheep eyed" to mean well, what salacious means! there is a good deal of evidence that salt is associated with sexual prowess, and success.. and general over all good health and stamina.

I always thought salty language, salty talk, was derived from the, uh, colorful and lusty language that sailors and seamen (salts, old salts) were known to employ throughout the centuries. But this Roman facet to the story is intriguing.

#76463 07/22/02 04:24 PM
of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
wich is a word name ending that mean salt works.. so Northwich, and Nanwich, and other UK *wich cities (a number exist near Liverpool) are all historic cities that were (or are) places for salt works.. Wich is old A/S term, but that all i know.

English salt that from the Northwich and other salt works in the Cheshire area passed through Liverpool, and became know as Liverpool salt.. (it was considered to be of exceptional high quality). Most of the salt works date back to QE1.

veteran
veteran
I started reading Kurlansky's book. It's intriguing so far. I was put off early on when he referred to the Exodus as if it were a real event. Other than that it's interesting. I had heard of the connection between salary / salt previously, but I wasn't aware of a connection with 'sold' and 'soldier.'

According to etymology online it derives from a Roman gold coin called a solidus.
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?allowed_in_frame=0&search=soldier&searchmode=none

From _Salt:_A_World_History_, p. 40 "In 1250 B.C., when Moses liberated the Hebrew slaves, leading them out of Egypt across the Sinai..."

p. 63, "At times soldiers were even paid in salt, which was the origin of the word salary and the expression 'worth his salt.' In fact, the latin word sal became the French word solde, meaning pay, which is the origin of the word, soldier."

You can search part of the book here: http://books.google.com/books?id=xNEaD1g7XScC

After I'm done, I might read a few reviews on Amazon.

Kurlansky *does* tell a good story - and much of it rings true. His background is as a journalist, not an historian. He talks about the importance of salt to the Chinese, the Egyptians, the Romans, the Celts, the Basques, the Italians, the Scandanavians, the English, etc. It's fascinating.

(I recalled this discussion, but I can't believe it's this old. I thought it was only 1 or 2 years ago at most. Time passes so quickly.)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: TheFallibleFiend

p. 63, "At times soldiers were even paid in salt, which was the origin of the word salary and the expression 'worth his salt.' In fact, the latin word sal became the French word solde, meaning pay, which is the origin of the word, soldier."

You can search part of the book here: http://books.google.com/books?id=xNEaD1g7XScC

According to etymology online salarius refered, not to being paid in salt but to being paid an allowance for the purchase of salt.

veteran
veteran

Just came across this:
http://www.saltinstitute.org/Uses-benefits/Salt-in-history

Their stated mission is:
"The Salt Institute is a North American based non-profit trade association dedicated to advancing the many benefits of salt, particularly to ensure winter roadway safety, quality water and healthy nutrition."

Two weeks ago I would not have cared - or even noticed.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted By: TheFallibleFiend

(I recalled this discussion, but I can't believe it's this old. I thought it was only 1 or 2 years ago at most. Time passes so quickly.)

I know just what you mean FF about 'recalling a discussion' little snippets of conversations from here are always popping in my head but also how 'time passes'. This time though. I am reading this thread for first time.

Funnily enough I watched a program on TV the other night....about the benefits of Salt Rooms . An alternative therapy for the relieve of Asthma etc, seems the practice is not new, but dates back to 'medieval times, with monks taking the sick down into salt caves to allow them to breathe air saturated with salt particles'

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
taking the sick down into salt caves to allow them to breathe air saturated with salt particles' Huh--I wonder how that helped.

Jackie #204647 02/13/12 02:12 PM
veteran
veteran
Almost finished with the book. A number of interesting word tidbits. "Sodium" derives from "soda" and on the other way round. Similarly, "Potassium" derives from potash and not vice versa.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,226 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith