Next Thread
Print Thread
#132680 09/06/04 10:56 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
This was a great word tsuwm posted on his site this past week...term for those 'six and a half books' that are lying next to your bed, but are half-read. tsuwm wrote it much more concisely.

Anyway, reading 'ballycumber' caused me to remember a word I think Dr. Bill had posted over a year ago. It was a terrific word that meant someone who reads beneath the covers--the way I'll bet lots of us did when we were kids and our parents told us to turn out the lights.

That word had 'ist' in it...and 'lo'... and 'cu'...and 'bri' or 'bru'... and 'tion'...but I can't remember the word.

Will someone please resuscitate it for me? Thank you very much.

Loco........brutionist? I'll check on onelook under loco*

Edit: Take the above clues with a grain of salt. And onelook.com is little help. I did find 'perpilocutionist' (one who talks through his hat, one of tsuwm's 'worthless' words) and undulationist, which I thought might be a belly dancer, but turned out to be one who advocates the undulatory theory of light, whatever that is.

A
journeyman
journeyman
A
crepuscularist?

I AM A BALLYCUMBERER.

It's true,in fact, I am thrice a ballycumberer. At this moment I have over thirty books lying about, half read, while the public library steams and sends late notices and endows grand scolarship programs with the revenue of my past due fines.

No more. Hense forth I shall be a reformed ballycumberer. I, Amemeba, hereby pledge to keep no more library books past their due date because of my perverted love of indiscriminate learning.

I have a plan...

#132682 09/06/04 04:22 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
librocubicularist, one who reads in bed -- this was easy enough to find here with an AND search; here's the link:
http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=education&Number=70985

OneLook has a reverse dictionary (Beta version) which can be pretty funny to use. I tried the "reads under covers" string and got results such as "equal rights amendment", "conjunctiva", "leningrad cowboys", and "underpants"!

Googling ["librocubicularist" dictionary OR glossary OR words OR terms OR lexicon] revealed Christopher Morley's "The Haunted Bookshop": http://www.worldwideschool.org/library/books/lit/romance/TheHauntedBookshop/chap10.html

#132683 09/06/04 07:35 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Librocubicularist! Why, of course! I would have known it anywhere! Many thanks, tsuwm. I did permanently memorize meleagrine, just for the record.

And, milo, I have started by far more books than I ever finished. In fact, it's rare these days that I complete a book.

#132684 09/06/04 08:24 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Wow, unless a book is really bad, I have to finish it. I always have a slew of books going at one time, but they all get read.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 583 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith