Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#56837 02/13/02 09:48 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Note this is Q &A indicating that I'm presenting this as a serious proposition, seriously.

There's been some questions raised on "Deathy Hubris" about the contents of a certain URL
http://www.hornyforgod.com/whittman.html, respectively, and horny for god, specifically. I thought this is apt to blossom into an interesting enough discussion to warrant a new thread (but ya never know around here! ). When I first saw this phrase I wondered myself, until I delved into it a bit more.

What we're seeing here in the phrase, "horny for god," is the Webmaster's choice for inflecting a word with a new sematical nuance. Faldage oughtta love this! We're use to hearing the word horny in the context of "a craving for sex" or the physical and emotional condition that brings the sexual gestalt to the forefront and distracts our minds, momentarily, from eveything else.
This gentleman's site has to do with the theory of enlightened beings. If you click the link and peruse some of the Whitman bio you'll see that he considers W.W. an avatar, an enlightened being, and believes in the concept of One God that has shown itself on the physical realm in eruptions of consciousness throughout history in various incarnations of enlightened entities such as Christ, Buddha, etc. So, getting back to the wordism here, horny in this context means a "super-enthusiasm," a "craving for God." So, in the context of this milder, more generic form of "horny" you could say, if you had a craving for ice cream that you were horny for ice cream. The evolution of language never ceases!

#56838 02/13/02 10:25 PM
old hand
old hand
I'm a little more concerned that he's sloppy enough to let the URL extension go with such a gross error in spelling! Sheesh, if you're going to be horny for a guy, at least learn how to spell his name right!

#56839 02/13/02 10:44 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
A client of mine was, in high school, the starting point guard on the school's basketball team. The shooting guard on that team went on to play in college (unspectacularly) and later managed to catch on with an NBA pro team, where he blossomed. He recently retired after a long career; Sparteye will recognize his name instantly.

You can imagine the high school nicknames and double entendres when I tell you that the two boys (now men) were named Gary Alcock and Jeff Hornacek.

#56840 02/14/02 12:03 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Do you think he was using the word "horny" to attract people to the site? Kinda like that 8,000$ they use to bring people into a shop and then say they've sold the last one and here is a nice 25,000$ one I could let you have.

#56841 02/14/02 01:18 AM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Do you think he was using the word "horny" to attract people to the site?

Good point, bel! It certainly does grab your attention, as witnessed by these reactions.

#56842 02/14/02 01:22 AM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
whittman

Good question, Fiberbabe...wonder why he did that?

#56843 02/18/02 09:41 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
whittman

Good question, Fiberbabe...wonder why he did that?

Why don't you just email him again and sort it out?

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#56844 02/19/02 01:03 AM
G
old hand
old hand
G
So, getting back to the
wordism here, horny in this context means a "super-enthusiasm," a "craving for God."

Isn't there a built-in tautology here? "Enthusiasm" means, literally, "god within."

And, throughout history, there have been many gods who have been horny in its more normal implication.

Now, a somewhat related query: Do we anthropomorphise diety, or do we deify ourselves? What other words reflect these themes?

#56845 02/19/02 07:27 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
And, throughout history, there have been many gods who have been horny in its more normal implication.

Yes. Sadly lacking today, however. They're all bleedin' celibate!

Gods, as far as I can tell, are reflections of ourselves as we would like to be. Rather than "God created man in his own image" (have I got that right?), it's "Man creates gods in his own image".

The Old Testament god is a completely different kettle of fish from the New Testament god. The Jewish (Old Testament) god is a knock 'em down, drag 'em out moralist deity with no room for flexibility or even the vaguest hint of a sense of humour (look what happened when Moses' camp-followers or fellow-travellers built themselves a graven image). The Christian god is the forgiving type - half a dozen "Hail Marys", if you're Catholic, and all's right with the world again. If you're not Catholic, it's even less bother.

And to quote from the gospel according to Brian: " 'e's not the messiah, 'e's a very naughty boy!"

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#56846 02/19/02 08:00 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
eh, Kiwi, you're getting into a sensitive area.

There is some truth to what you say. There is also, as I recall, a good deal of variation among the early-christian writings: many would fit your characterization, but many others (e.g., Paul and Tertullian) would emphatically not. And as a matter of official Catholic doctrine, query if its correct to say, "If you're not Catholic, it's even less bother." My understanding is that per original official doctine, all unbaptised persons go to hell, or at best to limbo.

But I will certainly admit that I am no deep scholar on this!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,315
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 247 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,532
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith