Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#24337 03/22/01 08:11 PM
G
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
G
I think the subject says it all. I've heard the phrase a million times, sometimes 'jerry-rigging.' And my questions are simple...who was Jerry? Or who was on the jury? How did we get such a screwy synonym for 'improvised.'

In the immortal words of Cecil Adams, "The next time we invent a language, somebody's gotta take better notes."

#24338 03/22/01 08:18 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
according to AHD:
From jury-rig, jury-rigging, improvised rigging on a ship, modeled on
jury-mast, temporary mast, perhaps ultimately from Old French ajurie, help,
from aider, to help.

#24339 03/22/01 08:20 PM
H
addict
addict
H
I understood this to have a nautical origin (it is used a lot in O'Brian and Forester's novels about the British Navy - if a pseudo-YART may be expressed here), coming from a jury-mast, used to temporarily replace a mast that has been shot through by cannon or otherwise rendered useless. Here's what I found in the American Heritage Dictionary:

From jury-rig, jury-rigging - improvised rigging on a ship, modeled on jury-mast, temporary mast, perhaps ultimately from Old French ajurie, help, from aider, to help.

Postscript: ARGHHAGH! Beaten to it by tsuwm by 72 seconds! Story of my life.

#24340 03/22/01 08:23 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
"Jury rigging" is a very old sailor's term for an emergency repair, an expedient intended only to get the ship to a safe harbor where a proper permanent repair can be made.Its origin is obscure.
"Jerry-built" I have heard for defectively built houses
After seeing tsuwm/s post, I think there is merit in attributing it to the French word given for "jury".

#24341 03/23/01 12:01 PM
R
addict
addict
R
My brother in law has the surname German and is a builder, which brings the same joke every time about jerry building.
Is the derivation of Jerry=German from GERman, or something subtler?

Rod Ward

#24342 03/23/01 01:16 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Being from a seafaring area I've always been clear on jury rigging but how about jerry-built?
I know it means shabbily done or built to sell but not to last very long... but perhaps you have a different meaning ?
I often hear the two flip-flopped ... and jury-built used instead of jerry-built.
Is it perhaps because jury-rigged sounds more like you have tried to tamper with an empanelled jury?
wow

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Here's what the Word Detective has:
---------------------------------

Caught in the rigging.

Dear Word Detective: I'm curious about the word "jerryrig," as in to make do with materials on hand. I recently saw it spelled "juryrig," but the context seemed to be the same. Is the correct spelling "jerry" or "jury" and what is the origin of the word? What, if anything, does it have to do with a rigged jury? -- Jill Fitzpatrick, via the Internet.

Not much, if anything. Then again, some of the juries running around out there these days could probably do with a little jury-rigging, perhaps a little money under the table for paying attention to the simple facts of the case. Between turning certain people loose in the face of mountains of evidence and fining other folks millions of dollars for lying on their job applications, juries are rather rapidly reaching a level of credibility formerly attained only by UFOlogists and mail-order psychics.

In any case, the "jury-rig" (it is usually hyphenated) you're asking about has nothing whatever to do with juries in the judicial sense. "Jury" was originally a naval term for any makeshift contrivance substituting for the real thing in an emergency, most commonly found in the term "jury-mast," a temporary mast constructed in place of one that had been broken. There's some debate about where the word "jury" in this sense came from, with the leading (but unverified) theory being that it was short for "injury."

To say that something is "jerryrigged" is to mix idioms a bit, because the proper term is "jerrybuilt." A "jerrybuilder," a term dating to 19th-century England, was originally a house builder who constructed flimsy homes from inferior materials. The "jerry" in the term may have been a real person known for the practice, or may be a mangled form of "jury," as in "jury-rigged." I tend to think that "jerrybuilt" arose separately from "jury-rig" simply because their senses are slightly different. Something that is "jury-rigged" is concocted on the spur of the moment to meet an emergency, but something "jerrybuilt" is deliberately constructed of inferior materials to turn a quick buck.

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Rod: In WWII, "Jerry" was US Army slang for the krauts.
But they had a very useful sturdy container for motor vehicle fuel, which we very much admired, copied, and called a "jerry can".

#24345 03/23/01 01:50 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
On the "authority" of the movie "Five Graves to Cairo," the derogatory "[J]erry" was given the Germans by the Brits on whose maps "Germany" was abbreviated "Ger'y"

#24346 03/23/01 02:16 PM
F
addict
addict
F
Another term I am fond of for cheap, poor quality construction work is to call something a "cob-job" (from "to cobble", I assume). Cob-job also tends to be verbed, as in: "Boy, somebody really cobbed these cabinets in here."

Flatlander

ps. Anyone know what a "deadman" is in construction parlance? Answer will follow.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 844 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith