#117062 12/03/03 03:56 PM
D
dxb Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
I heard an expression on a US TV programme the other day:

“The boiler is on the fritz” is what it sounded like and I think I’ve heard it before. Does it mean: ‘it has become unreliable’, or: ‘it no longer works at all’ and does anyone know its origin?

In Britspeak we might say ‘it’s on the blink’ for unreliability (that sounds rather dated actually) or ‘it’s totally knackered’ for not working at all (or more crudely: ‘it’s buggered’).

Can our French speakers come up with French equivalents? I know: ‘il ne marche pas’, but is there something more - expressive? I pick French, because although I can get from A to B and feed myself on the way in one or two other languages, I can do a bit more than that in French.

#117063 12/03/03 04:02 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear dxb: "On the fritz" is a commonly heard expression meaning "in need of repair". Fritz suggests "German" but I don't remember hearing anything but respect for German technology.

#117064 12/03/03 04:04 PM
old hand
old hand
Fritz = not working, as far as I am aware.

cheer

the sunshine warrior

#117065 12/03/03 04:04 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I would use it (if at all, it's somewhat, umm, quaint) to mean malfunctioning at almost any level.

It's on the fritz. You gotta whack one real good on the side.

No, come to think of it, it doesn't sound right at a more severe level of malfunctionery.

#117066 12/03/03 04:10 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear dxb: here is what Quinion, worldwidewords.com says:
"From Dan Leneker: “I am looking into how the expression on the fritz came about. Please help.”
I’d like to, but most dictionaries just say, very cautiously and flatly, “origin unknown”, and I can’t do much to improve on that verdict.
The phrase is now a common American expression meaning that some mechanism is malfunctioning or broken: “The washing machine’s on the fritz again” (the British and Australian equivalent would be on the blink). However, when it first appeared—about 1902—it meant that something was in a bad way or bad condition. Early recorded examples refer to the poor state of some domestic affairs, the lack of success of a stage show, and an injured leg—not a machine or device in sight.
Some people, especially the late John Ciardi, the American poet and writer on words, have suggested it might be an imitation of the pfzt noise that a faulty connection in an electrical machine might make, or the sound of a fuse blowing. This theory falls down because none of the early examples is connected with electrical devices, and the phrase pre-dates widespread use of electricity anyway.
Others feel it must be connected with Fritz, the nickname for a German soldier. It’s a seductive idea. There’s one problem, though—that nickname didn’t really start to appear until World War One, about 1914, long after the saying had been coined.
William and Mary Morris, in the Morris Dictionary of Word and Phrase Origins, suggest that it may nevertheless have come from someone called Fritz—in the comic strip called The Katzenjammer Kids. In this two youngsters called Hans and Fritz got up to some awful capers, fouling things up and definitely putting the plans of other members of the strip community on the Fritz. The strip appeared in newspapers from 1897 onwards, so the dates fit rather nicely. But there’s no evidence that confirms it so far as I know. There’s also the key question: why don’t we talk about being on the Hans?
As is so often, Mr Leneker, I’ve gone around the houses, considered this theory and that, but come to no very definite conclusion. But the truth is that nobody really knows, nor now is ever likely to."

#117067 12/03/03 04:28 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
from W3NI:
on the fritz adverb (or adjective) [origin unknown] : in a state of disrepair -- usually used with go <his supercharger had gone on the fritz -- G.P.Elliott>

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith