Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
trukat Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
Women engaged in many medieval professions, and some surnames derived from professions survive in two forms, masculine and feminine. The suffix -ster indicates the female form. Thus: Baker/Baxter; Weaver/Webster;Brewer/ Brewster. Chaucer's Wife of Bath was a clothmaker, a webster, and the annoying mystic, Margery Kempe was a brewster.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hello and welcome. This is interesting. I had the surnames in mind this day and seeing this, I wonder if this phenomenen you mention is typical only for English surnames. Dutch, which in the past has been so closely related to English does not have this.

We have f.i. surnames like: Bakker, but no Bakster. Wever, but no Weefster. Brouwer but no Brouwster. And does this tell something about differences in societies? Was our society more partriarchal than the English? Were in certain societies people rather named after their father ( John Johnson, William Williamson, (>Icelandic, Scandinavian and Dutch traditions have this a great deal) than after their father's profession?

Or, if a man had no real profession or trade all one could do was to take this son of/daughter of choice? ( Jónsón-Jónsdóttir ). Hessels means son or daughter of Hessel (old Dutch proper name) Jacob comes back in the surname Jacobse-Jacobsen. Hendrikse- Hendriksen, etc.

Many thing to consider. smile

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The -ster suffix in English came down from Old English -estre. Perhaps it was somewhat different in Dutch. There are also place names and characteristics. The ancestral Joe Church may have lived near the church and Jim Brown was dark complected.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Baker/Baxter Wow, I never knew that! Cool! Thanks, and welcome aBoard!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: Faldage
The -ster suffix in English came down from Old English -estre. Perhaps it was somewhat different in Dutch. There are also place names and characteristics. The ancestral Joe Church may have lived near the church and Jim Brown was dark complected.
Never thought of all these possibilities. Funny, I find no 'Church' Googling for names , but lots of 'Churchyard' (Kerkhof), 'Churchyards' or van Churchyard. Also lots of Brown (Bruin) and The Brown/ or Browns. Historically we are of light complexion.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
(Link and link.)

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
NOW I remember reading your first one; not so much the second, sorry. Thank you for the remindery!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

----please, draw me a sheep----
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Surname names not so different in other countries, then Bran.
And that makes it easier when 'breaking down' language and in the understanding....as explained by Zm's links. (I never did like that word 'spinster' but I'll look at it in a different light now).

I looked up my name in your link Luke.
earliest form..... 1166.
Now thats old!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
They are pretty good sites. Easy to use too.

----please, draw me a sheep----
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 688 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith