Next Thread
Print Thread
of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Re;adamantine (ad-uh-MAN-teen, -tin) adjective

1. Unyielding or firm.

2. Like a diamond in hardness or luster.

[From Middle English, from Old French adamaunt, from Latin adamas, adamant,
hard metal, steel, diamond, etc., from Greek adamas, adamant, a- not + daman,
to conquer.]

Wolverine--(one of the X-men for those of you who don't read Stan Lee's Marvel comics)-- wears clothes made of adamatine-- Hard as steel! -- (just so all of you know there is something to be learned from comics!)

(PS AnaS-- i don't need to ingest anything to get this way-- I am hard wired for weird!)

#30572 05/30/01 02:27 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
clothes made of adamatine-- Hard as steel!

Er, hard as diamonds? Boy, Wolverine must be a bit testy; that's gotta be uncomfortable.

J
old hand
old hand
J
wears clothes made of adamatine

Correction, madame. As a once avid X-men fan, I know that Wolverine didn't not wear adamantine clothes, his bones were made of a material they called Adamantium, described as the strongest metal in existence. His mutant power was very fast healing and when he was younger a Canadian lab implanted Adamantium bones in him. He also had Adamantium claws that came out of the top of his hands.

And yes Sparteye, he had a rather nasty additude.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
he had a rather nasty additude

Skunk bears are like that.

W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
Are skunk bears for real? What are they? I am going to Montana in two week's time, should I watch out for them there? And what are antidotes to their bear hugs?

Please respond before my trip. thanks!

chronist

W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
adamantine (ad-uh-MAN-teen, -tin) adjective

1. Unyielding or firm.

2. Like a diamond in hardness or luster.

I spent a mini-vacation in a friend's house and in writing my thank you note I nearly used the word to describe her to herself because she is a remarkable woman, but hesitated because of the one meaning "unyielding" that could mean inflexible and in some context might not be flattering.

of troy---
(just so all of you know there is something to be learned from comics!)

How true! At a friend's library, I discovered a treasure, a comic-book version of Nietsche's biography and ouvre. I find it a good way of getting to know someone or something that you would not otherwise tackle because of the sheer volume of the literature.

chronist

#30577 06/01/01 01:51 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Are skunk bears for real? What are they?

The wolverine is the largest land-dwelling member of the family Mustelidae (animals such as minks, weasels,otters, skunks). Fot its size, the Wolverine is probably one of the smallest and most powerful top-of-the-food-chain predator. It makes a Tasmanian Devil look like a sissy. ... Because of the stripes along the wolverine's body it is sometimes called a skunk bear. It is neither a skunk nor a bear but it is a relative of the skunk. ... Like skunks, Wolverines have a scent gland which produces a strong musky odor. They use this to mark their territory and not as a defense measure. Their defense is to attack you with their sharp claws and teeth. ... The wolverine is noted for its strength, cunning, fearlessness, and voracity. It may follow traplines to cabins and devour food stocks or carry off portable items; its offensive odour permeates the invaded cabin.

With strong claws, a strong sense of smell, and a tenacious spirit it can be a relentless hunter and scavenger. The wolverine has even been known to steal prey from a grizzly bear. The wolverine seems to have the attitude that if it can be eaten, it should be. It is called the glutton in some areas because of this desire to eat anything. The wolverine has a very strong and fast-acting digestive system, which allows it to eat a great deal of food very quickly. Because of its habit of scavenging, it has been called "the hyena of the North."

They also wear really ugly football helmets.

For more, see http://www.nps.gov/brca/nawolverine.htm and http://blindkat.tripod.com/zoo/wolverine.

#30578 06/01/01 01:57 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
If you go to Bex's site, she has a lovely public safety notice about telling different kinds of bear apart... it's funny

PS I get nowhere with that second link.. ?!?

#30579 06/01/01 02:01 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Trappers in far north used to prize wolverine fur to rim parka hood, as it was only kind of fur resistant to breath causing it to frost up .

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Wolverine actually has bones LACED with adamantine...not completely replaced in the operation!

On a side note: Where is Gambit in the new movie?? He and Rogue are two of the most interesting X-men!

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 676 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith