Print Thread
#88726 12/05/02 01:56 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
We live in interesting times. We still have a few Good Samaritans, but have to have a law
to protect them from the Legal Predators.
§ 210 ILCS 50/3.150. Immunity from civil liability

Sec. 3.150. Immunity from civil liability. (a) Any person, agency or
governmental body certified, licensed or authorized pursuant to this Act or rules
thereunder, who in good faith provides emergency or non-emergency medical
services during a Department approved training course, in the normal course of
conducting their duties, or in an emergency, shall not be civilly liable as a result
of their acts or omissions in providing such services unless such acts or
missions, including the bypassing of nearby hospitals or medical facilities in
accordance with the protocols developed pursuant to this Act, constitute and
wanton misconduct.

#88727 12/06/02 04:50 PM
veteran
veteran

We were told by our CPR / First Aid instructor that once you started rendering aid, you were not allowed to stop. To do so makes you liable. We were told that if you started CPR, the only reason you could stop was if 1) you passed out or 2) someone came to replace you.

I think our laws have a lot to do with the fact that people aren't decent to each other any more.

I was listening to some program on the radio once about evictions and the speaker mentioned the startling fact that once a person sleeps two nights in a place (in the speaker's area), that the place they sleep is considered their "home" and that the home-owner can't kick them out. I can easily imagine putting up a homeless person for a couple days and then finding that I can't get rid of him. Never bothered to verify this, or see where it might be applicable.

Whenever I see a homeless person, I invariably wonder how much they can thank the legal profession for the severity of their position.

k

#88728 12/06/02 05:03 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear FF: we all make jokes about lawyers. But only greedy people start legal problems.
If there were not so many greedy people, there would be few lawyers.

#88729 12/06/02 05:12 PM
D
dxb Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
I think our laws have a lot to do with the fact that people aren't decent to each other any more.

Absolutely. The various child protection acts that have appeared over the last few years, although well meant, have also had the effect of over-sensitising us. Visiting a childrens' farm with my grandson the other week, a small girl ran past, fell badly, started howling. My instinctive reaction was to reach down and help her up. But I felt concerned in case my action should be misunderstood. What a sad world.

#88730 12/07/02 11:49 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Dearest dxb, what is a child farm and why would one visit? The vision I have in my head is of children sprouting out of the ground in neat little rows and admission being charged to view them. I suspect it is an orphanage but am curious as to what prompted the visit.
Edit Someone suggested to me that it might be what USns call a petting zoo. That would explain a lot.

#88731 12/09/02 10:26 AM
D
dxb Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
Dear Consuelo,

No, no, I did call it a "childrens' farm", not a child farm. Intrigueing concept that would be - like something out of Brave New World! It is like, but more than, a petting zoo as it includes other agriculture related interests and areas devoted to various open air activities. They became popular as it became more difficult for small farms to make money and the UK government brought in a policy called 'set aside' that meant that farmers received money for non-producing land, ie: land that was set aside, provided it was open to the public to use for recreational purposes. I am not knowledgeable about this despite living in a rural area, one only has time to get into so much, but I believe the background includes the various problems brought about by the EC's Common Agricultural Policy. I am sure there are other Brits here who know more - where is Shona when you need him? (Seriously, I know he is busy, not taking a Sabbatical). Me, I just go the agricultural shows and enjoy the benefits of not living in The Smoke even though I work there! Not that its smoky anymore - beautiful blue sky out there at the moment, but frosty this morning at 6.00am.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,322
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 405 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith