wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
From the Internet:
Collocation

(Definitions)

Collocation is the relationship between two words or groups of words that often go together and form a common expression. If the expression is heard often, the words become 'glued' together in our minds. 'Crystal clear', 'middle management' 'nuclear family' and 'cosmetic surgery' are examples of collocated pairs of words. Some words are often found together because they make up a compound noun, for example 'riding boots' or 'motor cyclist'.

#120990 01/26/04 01:27 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
And this is a very, very interesting point of language. It makes it very hard at times to parse sentences--or even to explain how sentences should be parsed--because two words really function as one, which is difficult for some students to grasp.

'Crystal clear' having been collocated, really should function as a single word, as does the compound noun 'riding boots' or even, more understandable, 'mountain lion.' In diagramming a sentence, you wouldn't show lion as a noun and mountain as a modifier because the two words 'mountain lion' behave as one.

I wonder whether this is true for these collocated pairs, such as 'crystal clear'? Would 'crystal clear' function as one adjective if you were to diagram it in a sentence? Based on what I know about compound nouns, I would guess, yes. Does anyone here know exactly how these collocated pairs should be correctly diagrammed in sentences?

Anyway, thanks, wwh. Again, very interesting.

#120991 01/26/04 02:02 PM
J
veteran
veteran
J
Yes, collocations and compounding are quite interesting. There's another kind of collocation that was studied in depth by Yakov Malkiel which he called "irreversible binomials". These are phrases consisting of two nouns (either substantive or adjective) connected by a conjunction which have become so fixed, that the nouns cannot be reversed without seeming strange: e.g., kith and kin, ham and eggs, thick and thin, etc.

See Y. Malkiel, "Studies in Irreversible Binomials" in Lingua VIII, 2 (May 1959); reprinted in his Essays on Linguistic Themes.

#120992 01/26/04 02:12 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Oh, many thanks, jheem. Taking an educated guess, I would expect that these collocated terms must be diagrammed as one unit and not with modifiers separated.

And these 'irreversible binomials' made me laugh because it is such a wonderful mouthful! This will be a terrifically enjoyable term to drop upon someone in my English department soon, not to mention my own students. It sounds so wonderfully mathematical! But I am honest. After I see a jaw or two drop, I'll definitely credit you and AWAD with this new information!

Irreversibly binomially yours,
WW

#120993 01/26/04 02:13 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I do not like green eggs and ham...

formerly known as etaoin...
#120994 01/26/04 02:22 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
do not like

And now we know why!

BTW, I went for years thinking that it was only the eggs that were green. (The book was after my time)

#120995 01/26/04 02:37 PM
J
veteran
veteran
J
You're welcome, dub-dub. Not sure how many English professors it takes to reverse a binomial, and some of their math colleagues may take issue with hijacking one of their terms, but it should be fun and besides the mouthfullness of the moniker most folks quickly understand what you're talking about. The Indian (Sanskrit) Grammarians studied compounds in depth, and I've always loved their technical terms for two different kinds of compounds: dvandva 'pair, couple' (called by Whitney copulative compounds, i.e., two words smashed together that would normally be connected by a conjunction) and bahuvrihi '(possessing) much rice' (or possessive compounds). I was surprised to see that bahuvrihi is listed in the A-H. The example they give is high-fiber diet, with high-fiber being a bahuvrihi compound, as in a diet possessing (or consisting) of high fiber.

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Let's list what we have so far:

compound words (e.g., mountain lion, riding boot, arctic fox or Arctic fox, depending upon your dictionary)

collocated terms (e.g., crystal clear, kick the bucket, and nuclear family)

irreversible binomials (e.g., ham and eggs, love and marriage, agony and ecstasy)

dvandva or copulative compounds (e.g., pair, newlyweds (?--would plurality discount this one), maybe trio and similar words, unless the members need to be more distinct)

bahuvrihi or possessive compounds (e.g., high-fiber).

Can you give us some other examples of these last two compounds so we can detect a pattern? Do the possessive compounds have to be hyphenated, for example? Since the copulative compound is a simple word, such as pair, could the possessive compound also be a simple word such as bushel?

I'm trying to find a good article online, but haven't found one yet.

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Here's something on the possessive compounds from the Net that further mystifies me:

Possessive compounds, also called exocentric compounds are compounds which lack a head element and resemble predicate - argument structures5. hunchback, pickpocket, lazybones, cut-throat, redskin

Exocentric compounds denote some feature of the entity which is
denoted by the compound: A redskin is so called because of his redskin; it does not denote a type of skin but a type of person / potato etc.who / which has a red skin.

Ah! So something has been left out here. The redskin (potato) possesses, so to speak, red skin, but we're not talking about the skin, per se, of the potato. And the same would go for the Native American.

The lazy-bones refers not to the bones of the person so much as to the person who possesses those figurative lazy bones.

Interesting. Jaheem, you have given me my day's work, I think, on this snow/ice day off from school!

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Still talking to myself, but this is quite interesting and complex.

Here on one site I learn that regular old run-of-the-mill compound words are called:

Root or Primary compounds

The site I visited used houseboat as an example. What you see is what you get, and you don't have to figure out anything much as you would with riding boot[, for example or redskin.

And then there are, too, synthetic compounds that had to do with position of verbals in what was called the 'head' of the compound (e.g., driver in 'truck driver,' the head usually being the last word in the compound, according to the site information).

Anyway, here's the URL. There's a lot to read there that is fun decoding:

http://santana.uni-muenster.de/Seminars/MorphologyHS_WS02/transparencies/morphologie11b.pdf

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 727 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith