Print Thread
#98579 03/13/03 09:45 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
malahini “Finally, men should under no circumstances wear long black socks with shorts; it's a sure sign of a malahini (newcomer or visitor). ...

malison
n.
5ME < OFr maleison < L maledictio: see MALEDICTION6 [Archaic] a curse

malmignatte
“The Malmignatte is an extremely poisonous spider. In the southern Italian town of Taranto, people who had been bitten by a spider would dance the Tarantella, a wild dance that was either a cure for the bite or simply the result of it, depending on which story you believe. The spider responsible was for a long time thought to be the conspicuously hairy Tarantula, a relatively harmless creature, but the real culprit was the much smaller Malmignatte.”

Malthusian
adj.
of Malthus and his theory that the world population tends to increase faster than the food supply with inevitable disastrous results unless natural restrictions, such as war, famine, and disease reduce the population or the increase is checked by moral restraint
Mal[thu4sian[ism#
n.

Mammatus Clouds - Rounded, smooth, sack-like protrusions hanging from the underside of a cloud (usually a thunderstorm anvil). Mammatus clouds often accompany severe thunderstorms, but do not produce severe weather; they may accompany non-severe storms as well. See Figs. 3 (HP storm), 5 (LP storm), and 7 (supercell).

manciple
n.
5ME < OFr manciple, mancipe < ML mancipium, office of a purchaser < L, legal purchase, possession < manceps, buyer, contractor < manus, a hand + base of capere, to take: see MANUAL & HAVE6a steward or buyer of provisions, as for an English college, a monastery, etc.

mandir - Kali Mandir, The - group of devotees from various spiritual and ethnic backgrounds who worship Kali and sing bhajans.
www.kalimandir.org/ search within this site
More sites about: California > Laguna Beach > Hinduism

manes 4ncz#8
n.pl.
5ME < L < IE base *ma3, good: see MAOANA6 [often M3]
1 in ancient Roman belief, the deified souls of the dead, esp. of dead ancestors
2 [with sing. v.] the soul or spirit of a dead person

man[go[steen 7ma%4g! stcn#8
n.
5Malay mangustan6
1 an edible East Indian fruit somewhat like an orange, with a thick, reddish-brown rind and sweet, white, juicy, segmented pulp
2 the tree (Garcinia mangostana) of the Saint Johnswort family, on which it grows

manzanita
n.
5AmSp < Sp, dim. of manzana, apple: see MANCHINEEL6 any of several shrubs or small trees (genus Arctostaphylos) of the heath family, found in the W U.S.

anzanilla
n.
a dry Spanish sherry
In the operan Carmen, she sings
“Près des remparts de Séville
chez mon ami Lillas Pastia,
j'irai danser la seguedille
et boire du Manzanilla,

maraca
n.
5Port marac; < Braz native name6 a percussion instrument consisting of a dried gourd or a gourd-shaped rattle with dried seeds or loose pebbles in it, that is shaken

marcescent
adj.
5L marcescens, prp. of marcescere, to wither, decay < marcere, to wither < IE *merk3, to grow soft, rot < base *mer3, to rub > MARE36 Bot. withering but not falling off

marasmus
n.
5ML < Gr marasmos, a wasting away < marainein, to quench, cause to waste away: see MARE36 a condition of progressive emaciation, esp. in infants, as from inability to assimilate food
ma[ras4mic
adj.

marcottage, propagation of trees by stripping ring of bark and covering with moss. ...

#98580 03/14/03 06:28 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
In reply to:

man[go[steen 7ma%4g! stcn#8
n.
5Malay mangustan6
1 an edible East Indian fruit somewhat like an orange, with a thick, reddish-brown rind and sweet, white, juicy, segmented pulp
2 the tree (Garcinia mangostana) of the Saint Johnswort family, on which it grows

Yes, a mangosteen (Indonesian manggis) is quite like an orange except the colour, taste, rind, and segmentation are different.

I would've said the rind was purple myself. It's much thicker than orange peel and is very bitter. The juicy inside of the rind is a powerful dye -- you don't want to get it on your clothes.

The inside is white and about the shape and size of the inside of a mandarin, with similar segments.

I've heard it said that the mangosteen was Queen Victoria's favourite fruit and that she offered a large reward to anyone who could get them back to Inggris in good condition. Quite where she tasted them I don't know, as she never came out this way.

For a picture see: http://www.i-2.co.id/travel/fruit_template.asp?ID=10

Bingley

Bingley
#98581 03/14/03 09:23 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
withering...not falling off

...and now I wish I could recall tsuwm's word about the color that is that of fading leaves...

#98582 03/15/03 02:57 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
In reply to:

Mammatus Clouds - Rounded, smooth, sack-like protrusions hanging from the underside of a cloud (usually a thunderstorm anvil). Mammatus clouds often accompany severe thunderstorms, but do not produce severe weather; they may accompany non-severe storms as well. See Figs. 3 (HP storm), 5 (LP storm), and 7 (supercell).

It shure sounds like mammaries to me.

#98583 03/15/03 08:47 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Mammatus = breast

#98584 03/16/03 11:37 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'm very surprised that manzanilla(Ænigma suggests Mao) was not also defined as chamomile(Ænigma suggests champagne! Okey-dokey!). That's what it is in Spanish and there is nothing named manzanilla in English. Huh.

#98585 03/16/03 01:48 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Consuelo had me confused about manzanilla> I thought she was saying a cup of chamomile tea would make her dance the seguedilla! Oh, to be seventy five again!

Carmen [avec intention en regardant souvent Don José qui se rapproche peu à peu]
Près des remparts de Séville
et boire du Manzanilla,
j'irai chez mon ami Lillas Pastia.
Oui, mais toute seule on s'ennuie,
et les vrais plaisir sont à deux;
donc pour me tenir compagnie,
j'ammènerai mon amoureux!
Mon amoureux!.. il est au diable!
Je l'ai mis à la porte hier!
Mon pauvre coeur, très consolable,
mon coeur est libre comme l'air!
J'ai des galants à la douzaine;
mais ils ne sont pas à mon gré.
Voici la fin de la semaine:
qui veut m'aimer? je l'aimerai!
Qui veut mon âme? Elle est à prendre!
Vous arrivez au bon moment!
Je n'ai guère le temps d'attendre,
car avec mon nouvel amant
près des remparts de Séville,
et boire du Manzanilla,
dimanche, j'irai chez mon ami Pastia!

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,273 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith