and mother had no sign of any morbid diathesis, but I
will not conceal from you that my grandfather was
afflicted with podagra."

Source: The Collins English Dictionary © 2000 HarperCollins Publishers:

diathesis [daı'æθısıs]
noun
(plural: -ses [-ˌsiːz])
a hereditary or acquired susceptibility of the body to one or more diseases
[ETYMOLOGY: 17th Century: New Latin, from Greek: propensity, from diatithenai to dispose, from dia- + tithenai to place]
diathetic [ˌdaıə'θɛtık] adjective

I have often seen it used for a collection of symptoms for which an exact diagnosis is difficult: e.g. a hemorrhagic diathesis could mean bleeding for which the cause is obscure, perhaps an unstudied genetic disorder.

#117494 12/12/03 10:52 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
And what is podagra? I know I could look it up, but...

#117495 12/13/03 12:22 AM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Literally pain in the foot. In gout crystals form in the joints, and there is redness, swelling and pain. The first joint attacked is almost always the first joint of the great toe. It seems to have been far commoner over a hundred years ago than it is now. I have no idea why.

I had to look up the name of the crystals - urates.

#117496 12/13/03 01:05 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
In gout crystals form in the joints, and there is redness, swelling and pain. The first joint attacked is almost always the first joint of the great toe. It seems to have been far commoner over a hundred years ago than it is now. I have no idea why.

because gout, (now considered a form of arthritis) is easily controled with diet-- proscribed foods include:
liver, kidney and other organ meats
turkey (especially the skin) and game fowl
venison
hard cheeses (especially cheddar)
port wine (fortified and dark red wines in general, right down to tawny sherry)
dark distilled alcohols (scots, rye, etc, --vodka, and clear rum in limitted quanities)

(there are other foods, but i didn't like them to start, so i had no reason to remember them!)

i've had gout for years, (as did my father--his is 'worse'--since he actually has 2 pairs of old shoes with the 'toes cut out' the he wears when he has been bad...)

after my first 'attack'-- i haven't had another serious attack-- the holidays are hard-- i like port wine and cheddar cheese, i love turkey,(especially the skin!)and i love sherry as an aparatif...

but if you stay away from game, and steak and kidney pie, and pork sausages, (especially liver sausage, and another favorite, chopped chicken liver, mmm, mmm) and 'dark alcohol'--wines or distilled-- you can live your life 'free' of 'attacks of gout'!

i find i can have a some of one of the foods, --but if i have a 'little of all of them'--i am doomed... the pain is horrid.. its rather easy to say 'no thanks'--to even the most wonderful foods, how ever well prepared.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 674 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith