Next Thread
Print Thread
#181846 01/18/09 04:53 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Solenodon paradoxus

Solenodon
There is an animal that seems to assembled from cat, rat and poisenous snake : the Solenodon paradoxus
It is not fully known what this creature eats; some believe that it eats fruits and plants, and others believe that it only eats invertebrates such as earthworms, ground beetles, millipedes, snails and no fruit or plant. The solenodon posesses poisonous salivary glands which inject venom into its prey as it is bitten, making it one of the very few and rare poisenous mammals. Little is known about the behaviour but females are known to buils a nest before giving birth.

All remaining populations are said to be found only in two places in the Dominican Republic: Jaragua , Del Este National Parks and La Visite National Park in Haiti.

video

It does not make sense. Look at the seize of it. How can needs it poison an earthworm in order to kill it?

Last edited by BranShea; 01/18/09 11:32 PM.
old hand
old hand
Yes the description is contradictory. How can it eat only fruits (one of the possibilities given) if it poisons its prey? Or is it a defense mechanism?

One of the few other poisonous mammals is the male platypus, which has a poisonous spur.

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Woh!, that's another animal that seems to have been stitched together from different other ones' parts.
It must be defense mechanism, the poison. Why paralyse an earthworm or a berry, the idea is so funny.
platypus

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: BranShea
Woh!, that's another animal that seems to have been stitched together from different other ones' parts.
It must be defense mechanism, the poison. Why paralyse an earthworm or a berry, the idea is so funny.
platypus

That's all well and good when you're talking about worms and berries, but what about tomatoes?

BranShea #181886 01/19/09 10:33 PM
old hand
old hand
Solenodon Paradoxus

Origin:
1830–40; < NL < Gk solen ;ln channel, pipe, syringe + -odon -toothed

I can only surmise that the second part of it's name refers to the odd appearance.

Last edited by olly; 01/19/09 11:44 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Solenodon paradoxus

Solenodon
There is an animal that seems to assembled from cat, rat and poisenous snake : the Solenodon paradoxus
It is not fully known what this creature eats; some believe that it eats fruits and plants, and others believe that it only eats invertebrates such as earthworms, ground beetles, millipedes, snails and no fruit or plant. The solenodon posesses poisonous salivary glands which inject venom into its prey as it is bitten, making it one of the very few and rare poisenous mammals. Little is known about the behaviour but females are known to buils a nest before giving birth.

All remaining populations are said to be found only in two places in the Dominican Republic: Jaragua , Del Este National Parks and La Visite National Park in Haiti.

video

It does not make sense. Look at the seize of it. How can needs it poison an earthworm in order to kill it?

Cute little animal. I sent the link to a couple friends of mine. We all agree how amazingly
it looks like the animal we have here in the Great Plains called an opossum. Plays dead
or "possum" when attacked, thus others leave it alone. Found a couple in my garage from
time to time. Very docile: pick them up and return them to the creek which runs behind
my house. My dog occasionally brings me one as a gift laying it at my feet. So sweet.
But at any rate, does look like an opossum. Ours' will bite, but just play dead. Thanks for
the link.

----please, draw me a sheep----
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: Faldage
platypus

That's all well and good when you're talking about worms and berries, but what about tomatoes?

Not to mention Brussells Sprouts!

Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
Maybe the wiggling (worm not berry) makes it nauseous.

Zed #181969 01/22/09 10:10 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
They eat them on those shows about "fear". Yummy, wiggle and all.

----please, draw me a sheep----

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith