Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Father Steve Generation X Neologisms - 09/17/03 03:32 AM
http://www.scn.org/~jonny/genx.html

Anybody seen this list?

Posted By: Faldage Re: Generation X Neologisms - 09/17/03 10:24 AM
Aside from the fact that someone (either the compiler or the marginal initiator) could've used a proofreader, I've now got it bookmarked. Thanks, Father Steve.

Don't nobody tell TVR about this list. They'll go ballistic for weeks.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Generation X Neologisms - 09/17/03 01:33 PM
Hey, I like this guy! Btw, I'm sure this violates some sort of copyright laws, but I won't tell anyone if you won't. And I like a lot of the def.'s, too; too many to list. Did he leave out a word, here, do you think? An elderly sold-out baby boomer who for hippie or pre-sellout days.
Mental Ground Zero: (page 63)
The location where one visualizes oneself during the dropping of the atomic bomb; frequently, a shopping mall.
This is a sad, sad commentary on the world we live in.
But hey--I finally have a diagnosis! Metaphasia: (page 164) An inability to perceive metaphor.
Golly--I'd say that about 90% of these have some negative aspect/outlook; and that is really sad.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Generation X Neologisms - 09/17/03 01:37 PM
I'd say that about 90% of these have some negative aspect/outlook

Hence the term Generation X: they had nothing to define them.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Generation X Neologisms - 09/17/03 02:54 PM
>Did he leave out a word, here, do you think?
Bleeding Ponytail: (page 21)
An elderly sold-out baby boomer who for hippie or pre-sellout days.

several, maybe? such as: An elderly sold-out baby boomer who effects a ponytail in nostalgia for hippie or pre-sellout days.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Generation X Neologisms - 09/17/03 03:45 PM
Yep, that would work. I was thinking An elderly sold-out baby boomer who longs for hippie or pre-sellout days.

Posted By: Capfka Re: Generation X Neologisms - 09/17/03 05:41 PM
A nice list, but deals with pretty much the same issues as its predecessors like, man, the yuppie neologism list ...

I have heard "McJob" used, so not all of them are apocryphal!

© Wordsmith.org