Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Jackie New font discovery - 07/31/02 01:29 AM
Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, you-all! I just discovered something when I was looking for a cool font for a special e-mail (Hi, Aunt mav!) And, and, I tried the one called Notes, and, and...it IS!!!! Really, truly, music notes! And other music markings--I'll try to copy them here. And, caps makes a difference!

Shoot, they won't copy--they just come out letters and punctuation marks. But if you have a Notes font, TRY it!

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: New font discovery - 07/31/02 01:28 PM
Thanks you Jackie, you have the knowledge of all fo(u)nts.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: New font discovery - 07/31/02 01:41 PM
TEd, are you one of those Type-A personalities?

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: New font discovery - 07/31/02 01:57 PM
>TEd, are you one of those Type-A personalities?

Formosa purposes, yes.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: New font discovery - 07/31/02 02:10 PM
well, all your punny stories have brought me many great Times!
I swish them around on my Palatino and feel like a New Roman.

thanks!

Posted By: of troy Re: New font discovery - 07/31/02 04:28 PM
You know Jackie, the font won't work unless we have them intalled..

but may common fonts can be displayed if you use the
pre command (and /pre) But not all of these will work on Mac's!)

both commands should be in the square brackets.

You know Jackie, the font won't work unless we have them intalled..

but may common fonts can be displayed if you use the pre command (and /pre) But not all of these will work on Mac's!)

both commands should be in the square brackets.

Posted By: Jackie Re: New font discovery - 07/31/02 07:07 PM
Helen, I tried the pre and [/pre], thanks. Um--I think maybe your post made the thread go wide.
I'm going to try sending "notes" notes to all my friends whose computers will let them read what Outlook Express calls Rich Text. What do other...um...e-mail providers, I guess--call the kind of mail where you can use colors and different fonts, etc.? There are a couple of people I've tried explaining it to, but they have no idea of what I'm talking about when I say Rich Text and Plain Text, and I don't know any other names to tell them to look for.

Eta, I have to say you're good, but Ted is a Comic Sans peer.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: New font discovery - 07/31/02 09:11 PM
I guess my puns have gone to Helvetica....

Posted By: Sparteye Re: New font discovery - 08/01/02 12:47 PM
No, etaoin, I think we all got the points.

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: New font discovery - 08/01/02 12:48 PM
So do all the beach angels, also known as the Sands Seraphims.

Edit:

I suspect that should be Sands Seraphim. Something way in the back of my mind says that seraphim is a plural. Too lazy to get out the dictionary.

TEd
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: New font discovery - 08/01/02 12:58 PM
Gosh, this could start a new Arial assault, but since I'm a Courier of favor it shouldn't affect me more than a pica-gram.

I've just been out looking at all the names of fonts, and there are hundreds of them that are eminently punnable, but the effect of the pun is lost if you don't know the names. usually italics like it is, but this time I've Bernhard at work restraining myself.

TEd

Now, is there such a word as punnable?

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: New font discovery - 08/01/02 01:17 PM
well, I will appeal to Geneva for relief from your Arial assault... as soon as my thoughts are a bit more Lucida. This is starting to read like a bad Script, and I'm afraid we have perhaps used up all the Verdana growth in this forest...</pun>

I had the same thought TEd, it only works if you know all the font names....

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: New font discovery - 08/01/02 01:58 PM
As a Bookman - Old style though I am - I have to tell you that to those who hate puns, you two are Comic Sans. I Prescribe a diet of Swiss Condensed milk until you are fit to join the Elite. It's worth the effort, you know - just think of the Prestige it will bring you!

Posted By: FishonaBike Re: New font discovery - 08/01/02 03:19 PM
is there such a word as punnable?

I'm sure the word you're looking for is punishable TEd.

Posted By: of troy Re: New font discovery - 08/01/02 03:25 PM
re:Now, is there such a word as punnable?
There must be-- its used all the time in the phrase
"punnable by law" -- you seen it--on those tags that come on matresses (at least in the US)-- removal of this tag is punnable by law, with fines of $1000 dollars and ...

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: New font discovery - 08/01/02 03:30 PM
well, Helen, you're the Queen.

I know, I know, I should be tarred and feathered, but it's all just bunk. I guess I'll just trundle off now...

Posted By: Faldage Re: New font discovery - 08/08/02 06:37 PM
If all the merry punsters have worn theyse'ves out...

Jackie. Nice to know you found such a great font. Now whereat???? I bin lookin all over, ya cain't just google "fonts notes" ya know. You get page after page of notes about fonts. I tried googling "fonts downloads" and none of the pages yield a font called Notes. So whereat did ya find this font or did you just mean to play with us?

Posted By: FishonaBike Re: New font discovery - 08/08/02 10:06 PM
ya cain't just google "fonts notes" ya know

Try googling "musical notes" + font (keeping quotes around musical notes), Fal.

I found this:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?C36924971
-which you may find useful, though 'tain't Jackie's Notes.

Posted By: Jackie Re: New font discovery - 08/10/02 03:20 PM
It's in my e-mail, Faldage. Also, Atlantis has it. Don't feel like using it, these days. I have Outlook Express e-mail. Possibly you could get them by some kind of upgrade, or surely download them from somewhere. They are primarily decorative, I should think. It would be far more trouble than it's worth, to try and have a musical phrase appear on your screen--if it could even be done at all.

© Wordsmith.org