Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu how much of the forum do you read? - 02/11/06 12:41 PM
I'm just curious as to how much of the forum people read. every post? only selected categories? etc.
so here's a poll and feel free to leave comments about why:
Posted By: Faldage Re: how much of the forum do you read? - 02/11/06 12:50 PM
I only read posts that invoke false dilemmas.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: how much of the forum do you read? - 02/11/06 02:34 PM
Well, neither. I read *most posts, but lately, with slow dial-up, I haven't been looking at the song lyrics, for example.
Posted By: Father Steve Re: how much of the forum do you read? - 02/11/06 03:26 PM
I'm with Anna on this one. Here in Navasota, Texas, the only Internet access I have is through a 26 kbps dial-up, which is infuriatingly slow and insists on triage of those posts selected for reading. We'll be home shortly and I expect to be ever so much happier.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: how much of the forum do you read? - 02/11/06 03:33 PM
I read all posts in categories other than Wordplay and Fun.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: how much of the forum do you read? - 02/11/06 04:08 PM
I find myself skipping the song lyric threads as well of late.

(an aside from a disinterested observer: I thought it had been decided at some point to post just a verse or ? and not entire frappin' songs. wouldn't a link suffice for those who want that?--I assume these are being cut and pasted anyway.)

edit: oh, and sometimes I'll go for weeks(!) without venturing below the fold.
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: how much of the forum do you read? - 02/12/06 02:05 AM
I read almost every post, but sometimes it takes me a long while to get around to them.

The inflammatory ones I note and move on, shaking my head.

The lyrics get superficial glances mostly.

Those with dense paragraphs are often skimmed rather than scanned.

Most of my attention focuses on the Wordplay and, because ... well, it's the most fun.
Posted By: musick Re: how much of the forum do you read? - 02/12/06 07:18 PM
I read all posts in categories other than Wordplay and Fun.

DO'H

I mostly like to read all. I wish often, but don't get a chance, to spond.

Hey! You slow *loaders... if you haven't already... turn off "show avatars in posts".
Posted By: Alex Williams Re: how much of the forum do you read? - 02/13/06 02:02 PM
I visit the forums Q&A about words, Wordplay and Fun, and Miscellany regularly and sometimes visit Weekly Themes. I almost never visit Information and announcements or Looking for (writers, speakers). I try to avoid squabbles, spats and rants, and lately have begun using the ignore feature to that end.
Not a specific category. I just browse until I find something interesting.
Posted By: Owlbow Re: how much of the forum do you read? - 02/13/06 06:47 PM
All.
Sometimes I even know what you folks are talking about.
I sing the lyrics, if I know the tune.
Thanks for asking.
Posted By: Zed Re: how much of the forum do you read? - 02/15/06 12:01 AM
Depends on my mood and how much time I have. I try to check all the forums and I read most of the posts but I will often skip conversations that I am not interested in and leave them for those who are.
Posted By: Bingley Re: how much of the forum do you read? - 02/15/06 03:21 AM
I read all the forums, but skip certain threads if I'm not finding them terribly interesting or if they need too much effort to work out who's replying to whom or are otherwise difficult to follow.
Posted By: inselpeter Re: how much of the forum do you read? - 02/15/06 12:07 PM
Quote:

if they need too much effort to work out who's replying to whom or are otherwise difficult to follow.

ditto
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: how much of the forum do you read? - 02/15/06 12:56 PM
Quote:

I find myself skipping the song lyric threads as well of late.

(an aside from a disinterested observer: I thought it had been decided at some point to post just a verse or ? and not entire frappin' songs. wouldn't a link suffice for those who want that?--I assume these are being cut and pasted anyway.)

Yeah. It would be good to post just the relevant chorus or verse. In fact, an added challenge would be to find a song that continues the theme or an idea from the previous one (like I did the only time I participated... admittedly, it's quite difficult and I don't know if I could repeat the feat).
Posted By: musick Re: how much of the forum do you read? - 02/15/06 06:05 PM
...admittedly, it's quite difficult...

Not if you (like I did last) think 'connection' before you find a word that matches... nobody said you couldn't match a *popular word (eg "it's")

Although I agree with you, AnnaS, that some *pop songs that I've heard or hear WAY TOO OFTEN (even these days) only need the verse or chorus with the word connection, it's nice to read the(whole) story certain songs are telling...
Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: how much of the forum do you read? - 02/15/06 06:41 PM
My dilemma is that, these days, many of the posts are false ...
Posted By: dalehileman Re: how much of the forum do you read? - 02/16/06 12:03 AM
Same as Alex. Jackie, if you're there: The first three if not all four are of interest to those of us who concentrate on words. Therefore they could well be combined into a single heading, which would save us a lot of backtracking; so if you agree, then when you chat with Anu you might pass along this suggestion
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: how much of the forum do you read? - 02/16/06 12:17 AM
I see no advantage to combining forums. It would mean having to scroll down a lot farther to read new posts. I hate to sound like a geezer, but I'm pretty happy with the way things are and see no need to go messing with them.
Posted By: Father Steve Re: how much of the forum do you read? - 02/16/06 06:30 AM
many of the posts are false ...

False in the sense of ... ??
Posted By: Capfka Re: how much of the forum do you read? - 02/16/06 08:43 PM
Read Faldo's post, FS.
Posted By: Father Steve Re: how much of the forum do you read? - 02/17/06 04:37 AM
Dear Capfka ~

Thank you. I did. And I feel appropriately stupid.
Posted By: wsieber Re: how much of the forum do you read? - 03/08/06 08:53 AM
I regularly peruse Q+A and Miscellany. But I skip posts by extreme "frequent flyers". Rare posters (Hi, Insel..) provide more value to me, on average.
I don't know how to recognize a dilemma as false.
Posted By: inselpeter Re: how much of the forum do you read? - 03/08/06 09:37 PM
>>(Hi, Insel)

Ain't reciprocity a lovely thing?
Posted By: Kelly123 Re: how much of the forum do you read? - 03/09/06 04:16 PM
As a newbie "stranger", I haven't set a pattern yet. I would venture to say I would peruse things that interest me.
I happened across Wordsmith while searching for something else and it looked intriguing.
Posted By: Jackie Re: how much of the forum do you read? - 03/09/06 05:35 PM
it looked intriguing. Well, by and large, we think it is. Welcome aBoard! And, you're not alone in looking at what interests you; I believe most of us skip some posts/threads/categories. So--peruse at your leisure, and I hope you'll find things to enjoy.
> I believe most of us skip some posts/threads/categories.

according to the poll it's 44% read all, 56% read some.

that ain't most in my book.

and welcome, Kelly!
Posted By: Jackie Re: how much of the forum do you read? - 03/09/06 07:04 PM
that ain't most in my book. Watch it, eta, or I might prescruzzle you!
as long as you don't descruzzle me!!
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: how much of the forum do you read? - 03/09/06 07:19 PM
Quote:

according to the poll it's 44% read all, 56% read some.

that ain't most in my book.

Huh? It's "most" by a simple majority, ¿no?
well, yeah, but I would say "more" not most. most to me is a bigger difference.
Posted By: Faldage Re: how much of the forum do you read? - 03/09/06 10:57 PM
Technically, you need at least three options to have responses to one of them be "most." And then it doesn't even have to be a majority.

Since no one can be said to have chosen the third option of your false dilemma we don't really know, do we?

Well, maybe I did.
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: how much of the forum do you read? - 03/10/06 01:04 AM
Quote:

Technically, you need at least three options to have responses to one of them be "most." And then it doesn't even have to be a majority.

Prescriptivist!
Posted By: inselpeter Re: how much of the forum do you read? - 03/10/06 02:54 AM
Most members didn't vote.
heh.
Posted By: Sparteye Re: how much of the forum do you read? - 03/10/06 05:48 PM
Many of the members who only read some of the posts probably didn't even see this poll to vote on it.
Posted By: nancyk Re: how much of the forum do you read? - 03/10/06 05:58 PM
I'd say you're mostly right, Sparteye.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: how much of the forum do you read? - 03/10/06 06:09 PM
Quote:

I'd say you're mostly right, Sparteye.

More or less.
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: how much of the forum do you read? - 03/10/06 10:16 PM
Was that non-majority a singularity or a plurality?
© Wordsmith.org