Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Father Steve Anohter 'Nother Glitch - 10/15/05 04:26 PM
Has anyone ever seen anyone but themselves in the "Who's Online" function? Or is it just me?
Posted By: Faldage Re: Anohter 'Nother Glitch - 10/15/05 07:55 PM
Did you use a singular "they"?
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Anohter 'Nother Glitch - 10/15/05 09:58 PM
Did you use a singular "they"?

If only I'd been drinking something when I read that, I could've done a spit-take. Hot damn!
Posted By: Father Steve Spit Take - 10/16/05 12:49 PM
"...a spit-take (the double-take causes the character to spit out whatever he is drinking)."
~http://www.filmsite.org/filmterms8.html

"A spit-take is a comedic technique where someone spits water out of their mouth when they react to a statement. Danny Thomas is sometimes credited for popularizing the use of this in comedy."
~http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spit-take

"I invented a certain kind of spit take. You know, you're sipping a cup of coffee, and someone says, "Guess what, Danny, Uncle Tunoose is dead!" and you spew coffee all over the first few rows of the studio audience. That's the classic spit take, but it works just as well with grape soda, or chocolate milk, especially if it shoots out your nose or if you’re sitting on a white couch."
~http://mfinley.com/articles/zany.htm
Posted By: Father Steve to go without being noticed - 10/16/05 12:55 PM
"The alternative to the masculine generic with the longest and most distinguished history in English is the third-person plural pronoun. Recognized writers have used they, them, themselves, and their to refer to singular nouns such as one, a person, an individual, and each since the 1300s. For example, in 1759 the Earl of Chesterfield wrote, “If a person is born of a…gloomy temper…they cannot help it,” and, echoing this sentiment, W. M. Thackeray wrote in Vanity Fair in 1848, “A person can’t help their birth.”

"Modern writers of note, from George Bernard Shaw to Anne Morrow Lindbergh, have also used this construction, in sentences such as To do a person in means to kill them and When you love someone you do not love them all the time. The practice is widespread and can be found in such mainstream publications as Christian Science Monitor, The Washington Post, Discover, and Wall Street Journal.

"The use of the plural pronoun to refer to a singular noun or pronoun is hardly restricted to writing, however. Its use is so common in speech as to go without being noticed."

~http://www.bartleby.com/64/C005/018.html
Posted By: consuelo Re: Spit Take - 10/16/05 01:16 PM
Quote:

but it works just as well with grape soda, especially if it shoots out your nose

Gaaaaaaak! That actually happened to me when I was about 10. It was a humiliating experience...
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: to go without being noticed - 10/16/05 01:23 PM
Now, I am confused. I thought you leaned towards prescriptivism and preferred Tuesdays to Thursdays. (?) Guess I had you mixed up with another Padre Juzgado ...
Posted By: inselpeter Re: to go without being noticed - 10/16/05 03:03 PM
In fact, from a metaphysical -- and, increasingly, from a psychological, view point -- the referant of the third person singular is uncertain; and plural may well be the more accurate.

(edit for typo -- no matter how lovely "view pont."

What are you talking about?
Posted By: consuelo Re: to go without being noticed - 10/18/05 11:46 AM
I noticed that it said 3 registered users at the bottom of the screen, so I went to Who's online and it was just me...when I came to post this, though, the bottom of the screen said just one registered user was here and that would most likely be me then, eh?
Posted By: Marianna Re: to go without being noticed - 10/18/05 01:38 PM
Obviously they all ran away when they saw you, Consuelo...
Posted By: consuelo Re: to go without being noticed - 10/21/05 10:05 AM
I don't think so. I wear my cloak of invisibility when I come here.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: to go without being noticed - 10/21/05 06:23 PM
Quote:

I wear my cloak of invisibility

perhaps we can all be encouraged to show ourselves? Users Online doesn't do much good if everyone's invisible...
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: to go without being noticed - 10/22/05 12:27 AM
Hmm. I get the same non-visibility you all are reporting, and as far as I know I've always tried to be nonymous. (Today's word is "neologist," isn't it?!)

After I post this I'll look myself up again and recheck.
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: to go without being noticed - 10/22/05 12:35 AM
Yes. My preference list includes

Do you want to be visible on the "Who's Online" screen?
... x Yes [pre] ... [/pre] No

Can anybody else see me? No, I didn't think so.

-- Lord High Everything Else (...and the salaries attached to them)
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: to go without being noticed - 10/22/05 12:37 AM
well, I saw zjhmejhedzeded earlier, but I ain't seeing you, so, huh.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: to go without being noticed - 10/22/05 08:11 PM
Quote:

nonymous

I love it, wofa!
© Wordsmith.org