Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Faldage Cinenym - 02/04/05 12:46 AM
Cinenym, a word derived from a movie usage, e.g., gaslighted. "to manipulate (a person) by psychological means into
questioning his or her own sanity", from the 1944 movie Gaslight in which Charles Boyer's Gregory Anton attempts to convince Ingrid Bergman's Paula Alquist that she is going insane by altering the intensity of the gaslights in their apartment.

Any other cinenyms?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Cinenym - 02/04/05 01:34 AM
"Don't bogart that joint, my friend."

"Bogart" as a verb owes its existence to a genuine (at least in my book) 20th century cultural icon, Humphrey Bogart. There are actually two slightly different senses of "bogart," and they both take their meanings from the brusque, often tough, characters Bogart portrayed in his many films.

The earlier slang sense of "to bogart" means to bully or intimidate, the way Sam Spade (Bogart) treated Joel Cairo (Peter Lorre) in "The Maltese Falcon." This sense first showed up around 1951, but only became widespread in the mid-1960s, long after Bogart's last picture, and seems to have been largely confined to African-American slang of the period.

The later, and still current, sense of "to bogart" appeared in the late 1960s and means "to hog," especially to hold onto and not pass a marijuana cigarette that is being shared by several people. This meaning is probably partly an extension of the earlier "bullying" sense and partly in reference to the ever-present cigarette dangling from Bogart's lip in many of his film roles. The first recorded instance of this use of "bogart" was in the 1969 film "Easy Rider,"
- Evan Morris, a.k.a. The Word Detective

I'll admit to being unaware of the earlier sense.

Posted By: inselpeter Re: Cinenym - 02/07/05 12:52 AM
"starwars" comes to mind -- and, maybe, "bonzo"?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Cinenym - 02/07/05 04:20 AM
F, where did you encounter 'Cinenym'?

Posted By: maverick Re: Cinenym - 02/07/05 08:53 AM
> encounter 'Cinenym'?

[gottleofgear] Wordorigins [/gottleofgear]

Posted By: Faldage Re: Cinenym - 02/07/05 11:11 AM
[gottleofgear]

An ya din't never see me move my lips.

I think they said Barry Popik coined it.

I checked back in:

http://p066.ezboard.com/fwordoriginsorgfrm1.showMessage?topicID=11676.topic

They didn't actually say that Popik coined it, only that he apologized for it.

© Wordsmith.org