Wordsmith.org
Posted By: maverick giving them the bird - 10/12/01 06:26 PM
Technolgy strikes another blow for faster communication:

"The rapacious advance of technology has claimed the jobs of more innocent victims: 400 pigeons.

The Orissa state pigeon carrier service in India is cruelly sacking two-thirds of its winged workforce because of the increasing use of the internet and email.

A spokesman for the pigeon carrier service said: "We are going to retrench the pigeons to save the 5.4m rupees (£78,000) we spend annually on them."

Fear not: the practice of "retrenching pigeons" has nothing to do with ovens and pastry. The dole-birds will be handed over to the state's wildlife department, bless their little feathers.”

(with thanks to Jon at Silicon.com)

Posted By: Bobyoungbalt Re: giving them the bird - 10/12/01 06:53 PM
Perhaps they could put stools in their roosts so the birds could start a new career as stool pigeons. [ducking-for-cover e-con]

Posted By: Bobyoungbalt Re: giving them the bird - 10/12/01 06:55 PM
Forgot to note in my earlier post that when I saw the title of your posting I thought it was going to be something about the notes on gestures in the Insults thread.

Posted By: wwh Re: giving them the bird - 10/13/01 02:43 AM
Dear Mav: Maybe you could make a buck, buying the pigeons and selling them to the Taliban. The way things are going, that may be the only way they can send messages.

Posted By: wow Re: giving them the bird - 10/13/01 02:07 PM
when I saw the title of your posting I thought it was going to be something about the notes on gestures in the Insults thread

Just goes to show ya' that we tend to quickly click on titilating headers!

Posted By: musick Re: giving them the bird - 10/13/01 02:29 PM
WOW - Leave me out of "we"... in this case.

I thought fer-sure someone would have pointed out by now; "it" is usually referred to as "flipping them the bird" in the US... and more specifically, nobody talks about "it"... they "just do it".

Posted By: wow Re: giving them the bird - 10/14/01 03:16 PM
WOW - Leave me out of "we"... in this case.

OK.
Sorry.

Posted By: musick Offering the dove - 10/14/01 03:42 PM
Being so used to not being *grouped and attempting to insure *accurate reflection are often in conflict. I'm sorry for unintentionally provoking an apology, especially from Mom.

© Wordsmith.org