Wordsmith.org
Posted By: belligerentyouth ansaphone - 07/18/01 01:09 PM
I saw this one for the first time today. What really surprised me is that it was written by a professional translator in a serious document.
So what's the verdict then people?

Posted By: Faldage I think - 07/18/01 01:27 PM
It's a trade name.
http://www.ansaphone.com/

De gustibus non carborundum est

Posted By: belligerentyouth Re: I think - 07/18/01 01:38 PM
I googled it up and found the firm named Ansaphone too, Faldage. But this guy seemed to use it as a general term for any answering machine. Something like this:
'If, upon arriving at work you find 20 messages on your ansaphone, then ....'

Posted By: Faldage Re: I think - 07/18/01 01:53 PM
you find 20 messages on your ansaphone

Beats finding them scotch taped to your monitor. You'd probably have to take an aspirin, then.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic you say "tomahto" - 07/18/01 01:58 PM
The Brits in my circle customarily say "ansaphone" for what US'ns call an answering machine. Of course, until now, I thought they were saying "answer phone" and just ignoring the R, as is the Brit wont. In fact, maybe they *were and some genius decided to trademark the pronunciation.

Posted By: Bobyoungbalt Re: I think - 07/18/01 05:49 PM
BY, making a brand name into a generic term is certainly nothing new. At the risk of yarting, one could mention Brillo, Kleenex, Vaseline, Coke, Spam right off the top of one's head, and that's only the U.S. ones.

*BTW, (pace AnnaS), is there anyone beside me who has a secret fondness for Spam? Closeted Spamlovers of the world, unite!

Posted By: wow Re: I think - 07/18/01 06:33 PM
Spamlovers of the world, unite!

And we will all meet in the Spam Lovers Capital of the World : HAWAI'I!

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: I think - 07/18/01 07:04 PM
BYB asks the question that dare not ask itself: ...is there anyone beside me who has a secret fondness for Spam?

There's a sandwich spread, er, thread for that kind o' talk, Mister.

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen - 07/18/01 08:12 PM

Posted By: Jackie Re: you say "tomahto" - 07/18/01 10:18 PM
, we ah non-rhotic, ahnt we Mrs Fulnah?
Oh, you goofy thing, Maxie! No, Sweetie, you ah sadly lacking in the 'ah' depahtment. (And I love it!)

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: I think - 07/19/01 02:51 AM
Spam lovers of the world

Please see Monty Python's famous Spam Routine!

Posted By: Brandon Re: I think - 07/20/01 01:50 PM
For Monty Python Spam-lovers, here you go:

http://www.detritus.org/spam/skit.html

Posted By: belMarduk Re: I think - 07/20/01 06:14 PM
~Beats finding them scotch taped to your monitor.

Is scotch tape Scotch or is it named that because of the tartan on the packaging?

Posted By: Faldage Re: I think - 07/20/01 06:35 PM
Is scotch tape Scotch or is it named that because of the tartan on the packaging?

Or either vice versa, one.

Posted By: rodward Re: I think - 07/23/01 10:50 AM

It doesn't taste like any of the whiskies to me, let alone Scotch.

Rod

Posted By: Jackie Re: I think - 07/24/01 02:33 AM
It doesn't taste like any of the whiskies to me, let alone Scotch.

Rod, c'mere a minute, will you? I want to tartan you...

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: you say "tomahto" - 07/24/01 10:02 AM
The Brits in my circle customarily say "ansaphone" for what US'ns call an answering machine. Of course, until now, I thought they were saying "answer phone" and just ignoring the R, as is the Brit wont. In fact, maybe they *were and some genius decided to trademark the pronunciation.

We certainly use "answer phone" as a generic term, but the spelling has not, to my knowledge, formally degenerated to "ansa" as yet. And hopefully never will. Translation is one thing. Abomination is another.

© Wordsmith.org